debby hudson yWIWLgeu 2w unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
debby hudson yWIWLgeu 2w unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Culture > News

Highlights from the 2020 Vice Presidential Debate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

Is it too late to put “the fly” on the ballot? Or better yet, the 8th grader who basically requested that our nation’s leaders tighten up and behave—I don’t know—like leaders?

In reality though, Wednesday’s Vice-Presidential debate was refreshing after the hostile and frankly ridiculous presidential debate the week before, which left Americans deeply divided and concerned for the country’s future. Trump and Biden’s respective running mates, however, acted in a way that could be described as normal, at least by political standards.

Having served as San Francisco District Attorney, California Attorney General, and U.S. Senator, Kamala Harris’s reputation as a former prosecutor and fierce orator proceeded her. Harris looked into the camera and spoke directly to the American people on a night when she made history as the first woman of color to debate for national office for a major party. Harris is the first woman of color be on the presidential ballot for a major political party, making Wednesday a momentous and meaningful night for young women and minorities throughout the country. She put Vice President Mike Pence on the defense, attacking Trump’s presidential record and Pence’s role in various presidential decisions. 

That left Pence with a nearly impossible task: defending the Trump administration, arguably one of the most divisive and controversial administrations in U.S. history. Pence, known as a skillful and calm speaker, masterfully swayed Americans with strong rhetoric and sentimentality. Like Harris, Pence was an attorney before turning to politics. He served 12 years in the House of Representatives and 4 years as the governor of Indiana. During the debate, Pence relied on American values and republican loyalty, refusing to answer some questions and attempting to reroute the conversation to discuss his preferred topics. He also interrupted Harris multiple times as well as moderator Susan Page and unapologetically ignored Page when she tried (and failed) to limit his speaking time. 

However, Page’s questions seemed to be relevant to the issues facing the U.S. and fair in regard to each candidate. She quizzed each candidate on the handling of the coronavirus, potential presidential disability, climate change, economic recession, China, Breonna Taylor, and the peaceful transfer of power. As head of the coronavirus task force, Pence stood behind the White House’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic and stated that Biden’s plan to combat the virus “looks a little bit like plagiarism [of Trump’s plan], which is something Joe Biden knows a little bit about”. Harris emphasized the Biden campaign’s plan to trust in and follow the recommendations of public health experts and condemned Pence’s gross mishandling of the pandemic and poor example the White House has set.

Breonna Taylor’s death and the systemic racism it has come to represent was also a hot topic between the candidates. Pence denied the existence of systemic racism in American government and justice systems and condemned the rioting and violence that have occurred in her name. Harris also condemned the violence but acknowledged systemic racism in the U.S. and listed concrete ways to prevent deaths like that of Breonna Taylor and George Floyd in the future as part of the Biden campaign. She attacked President Trump for neglecting to condemn white supremacists and cited it as a pattern of behavior. Harris also cited her own record of requiring implicit bias training and the use of body cameras while serving in California.

Page’s question regarding China turned the discussion toward foreign policy. Harris attacked Trump’s isolationist policies, contending that many leaders of formerly allied countries now hold Xi Jin Ping, leader of the Chinese Communist Party, in higher esteem than Donald Trump. She stated that the Trump administration lost the so-called “war on China”, resulting in the loss of lives, jobs, and standing for the American people. Pence responded that Biden and the Obama administration had failed to fight the economic war in the first place, calling Biden a “cheerleader” for China, and maintained that Trump’s isolationist policies were keeping America safe. Again, Pence relied on emotional appeals, inviting the family of deceased humanitarian and human rights activist Kayla Mueller to the debate.

At the end of the night, each party’s candidate won their own party’s support and no one else’s. Republicans praised the words of Pence and democrats rallied behind Harris, but both candidates’ cool demeanors and polished sound bites created a deeper partisan divide and swayed few moderates with no clear winner.

Kentucky voters can cast their ballots in-person beginning October 13 and concluding on Election Day on November 3. Voters also have the option to vote with an absentee ballot.

Julia Barclay

Louisville '22

I am a Spanish and public health double major with a passion for travel, photography, half marathons, and finding goodness in the world.
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!