This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

For many people, reading more was their New Year’s resolution, but making time to read, especially when it’s a new habit, can be hard. If you had just gotten home from a long day of classes where you had been reading and writing all day, maybe the last thing that you want to do is picking up something else to read. It can also be hard to find a book that sticks, one that grabs your full attention, and if you don’t find one like this, it may turn you away from reading. For me, reading is a source of comfort, and I look forward to climbing into bed with a good book. But maybe that isn’t for you, and that’s okay, because there is still another way that you can achieve that goal of reading more books. The answer is: audiobooks. 

I love to read, but recently life has been so busy, and I noticed that I was slacking when it came to my reading goals. For the longest time I had sworn off audiobooks because I believed that I would get too distracted and not pay attention to the book; I’ve never been the best auditory learner. But, I decided to give them another try because I wanted to simply read more. What I learned is that, yes, I can get distracted at times, but the more I listened to audiobooks, the more I grew to love them. It’s like someone is reading to me, telling me a story that they think I’d like. 

Audiobooks are great because you can listen to them literally whenever and wherever. I pop in my headphones and “read” while I’m heading to class. I listen while I do my makeup and brush my hair. While my roommates are still in bed and I’m trying to be quiet, I have my airpods in, eating breakfast in the kitchen, listening to an audiobook. You can even have them playing while you take a shower. Because they’re so versatile, audiobooks can be a great way to read more on your own time. You can squeeze them in and listen to them like you listen to music.

You can purchase audiobooks through Apple or Amazon. Even Spotify now has a collection of audiobooks to choose from. I personally have an Audible subscription, and I swear it is the reason that I have already read over 10 books this year. Libby is a free option where you can  rent audiobooks from your local libraries. 

I’ve asked around and compiled a list of audiobooks that I think would be a good place for you to start:

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald narrated by Jake Gyllenhaal

Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottlieb narrated by Brittany Pressley

Hunger by Roxanne Gay narrated by Roxanne Gay

Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds narrated by Jason Reynolds

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen narrated by Rosamund Pike

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness narrated by Jason Isaacs

Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote narrated by Michael C. Hall

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig narrated by Carey Mulligan

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling narrated by Mindy Kaling

Brave, Not Perfect by Reshma Saujani narrated by Resham Saujani

I hope that you decide to give audiobooks a chance. I really think that you will grow to enjoy them, and they’ll even help you to achieve that goal of reading more, just as they did for me.

Elayne Harrington

Louisville '23

Elayne Harrington is a sophomore at the University of Louisville. She is an honors student who designed her own major called Literary Management. She is the Co-Director of the Equality and Justice committee on the Engage Lead Serve Board and a member of Chi Omega. When not studying, you can find her reading, journaling, or baking. She is very passionate about diverse storytelling and is glad to be a part of Her Campus.
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!