The Best Rom Coms for Valentine’s Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

For those of you who prefer snacking on popcorn while snuggling on the couch with your besties, your significant other, or your pets, I’ve compiled the perfect list of classic, heart-warming romantic comedies to get you through Valentine’s Day weekend.

1. Always Be My Maybe

It’s rare that a movie makes me actually laugh out loud, but this one does the trick. It paints the story of two childhood best friends, Marcus and Sasha, who grow up in San Francisco with an appreciation for cooking. After a grief-driven fallout between the two, Sasha moves on with her life, finding her talents in the restaurant business. Marcus remains in San Francisco. When it seems the two would never reconnect, a twist of fate practically shoves the former best friends together… and the rest is a hilarious, touching story.

2. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

This film has to seriously be one of my all-time favorite movies. Yes, partially because Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson star in it, but also because it’s one of those movies that just melts your heart a little. Everyone needs a good New York City romance.

3. 13 Going on 30

If you haven’t seen this film, you need to stop everything you’re doing and watch it immediately. This movie is a classic, and it sits at the top of my favorites list on Netflix, where it so belongs. Jennifer Garner stars as “Jenna,” a high schooler transformed into an adult overnight as she wishes to skip through all the painful years of her youth. What the adult world brings her is a life full of surprises: a successful career, a best friend, the city’s sexiest boyfriend, and a very nice apartment of her own. But with the obstacles she is forced to overcome, she realizes what she truly desires… watch it to find out!

4. 10 Things I Hate About You

It is not only a classic because of its popularity but also because of the sole fact that it stars Heath Ledger. The movie portrays the life of a young woman, Kat Stratford, played by Julia Stiles, whose abrasiveness often drives away her teenage classmates (including any potential boyfriends). She, however, is not concerned with dating anybody… that is, until she meets Patrick Verona, who has quite the reputation as a “bad” boy. As the two get to know each other at the hands of a bet, they start to fall for each other. Their story is heartwarming, a little heartbreaking, and just the right amount of amusing.

5. Crazy Rich Asians

Yep, this movie is up there with my all-time favorites. I had no idea what to expect when I started watching the movie with my parents; none of us knew that it was a romantic comedy. I ended up with an odd combination of tears and laughs by the end of the movie. I don’t want to give much away with this movie, as it’s full of surprises, but least to say, it’s touching, mushy at moments, extremely witty (the kind where you laugh so hard that your stomach hurts), and just plain good.

So grab your loved ones and sit down with a massive bowl of popcorn. I’m sure these movies are ones that will make your Netflix favorites list.

Ava Paszkiewicz

Louisville '23

xx.
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!