This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

February is right around the corner and that means Valentine’s Day aka the perfect time to blast love songs and sing at the top of your lungs, whether you’re with your SO, best friend, or alone in your car. To help you make the perfect playlist, here are a couple of my favorite songs to get you started.

1. “Jackie and Wilson” – Hozier

Honestly, I think this is one of the most romantic songs of all times. It’s not explicitly romanticbut it’s a timeless love song that you can apply to your relationship, but not take it super literally.

2. “Dead Sea” – The Lumineers

I don’t know if I’ll ever get tired of recommending The Lumineers songs for literally every event/phase of life. This song in particular, I mean, WOW. If you aren’t familiar with the meaning behind this song, let me tell you, you might just cry, honestly. Wesley wrote this song for his wife, saying that the best thing she’s ever said to him was that he was her “dead sea,” referring to the actual Dead Sea that has a natural buoyancy that makes it super difficult to sink in, similar to how he always keeps her afloat.

3. “Missin’ You Crazy – Acoustic” – Russ

Okay, hear me out, this song is a bop, but when you slow it down and really listen to the words (like you can in the acoustic version), it’s really beautiful. Acoustic here is key.

4. “Forever Always” – Peter CottonTale Daniel Caesar, Rex Orange County, AND Chance the Rapper

Are you kidding me? This song is such a vibe and literally so precious.

5. “May I Have This Dance (Remix)” – Francis and the Lights

Maybe this song is really nostalgic for me, maybe it’s the Chance part, I’m really not sure, but something about this song reminds me of dancing in your high school parking lot at 12 A.M. after the movies. It reminds me of timeless love.

6. “Sundress” – ASAP Rocky

ASAP? Yes sir. Rocky? Yes sir. This song isn’t super romantic, but reminds me of riding shotgun with the windows down in the middle of the winter just so you can feel the snow fall: one hand out the window, fingers going numb and the other wrapped around your SO’s hand on the center consol.

7. “hungover sunday” – Christian French

College love.

8. “Peaches” by Bob Schneider

So bubbly and pure! Just about true love and weird comparisons.

9. “Home” – Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros

This song speaks for itself. I can’t even express how much this song makes me feel in love and alive.

10. “All I Can Think About is You” – My Brother the Bear

This song is 100% on my list of most romantic songs ever. Everything about this song screamsbeing hopelessly in love with someone, in the best way possible!

Ruby Young

Louisville '23

I am currently a sophomore at the University of Louisville studying Psychology on the Pre-med track, which I hope will lead me to med school at UofL to study oncology. My hobbies include drawing, traveling, making lots and lots of playlists on Spotify, and working out!
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!