8 Movies and Shows You Should Watch During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

During quarantine, many of us have found ourselves with more free time than usual. What better way to spend this than catching up on some quality film and television? 

Parasite (2019)

Anyone with a Hulu subscription can now stream the 2020 Best Picture winner! This South Korean thriller will keep you on the edge of your seat, with a few laughs in between. The film follows the stories of two families—rich and poor—and how these class struggles intertwine. Don’t let the subtitles stop you—watch this film and be amazed.  

Eighth Grade (2018)

This film, directed by comedian Bo Burnham from the film studio A24, tells the awkward, relatable experience of Kayla Day as she tries to navigate her last year of middle school. Elsie Fisher, the actress that portrays Kayla, gives a masterful performance of being a teenager in the digital age. 

Lady Bird (2017)

Another great film from A24, Lady Bird portrays the senior year of Christine “Lady Bird” McPherson. The film gained critical acclaim and many accolades for the direction of Greta Gerwig and the performance of Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf. Another relatable tale, every college-age woman should watch this film. 

Madam Secretary (2014-2019)

With a five year run, Madam Secretary is a great watch for any politics buff (and anyone with plenty of time to kill during quarantine). Elizabeth McCord, the newly appointed Secretary of State, learns how to navigate the job of diplomacy in the midst of family and personal drama. This show will pull at the heart strings at some moments and at others, encourage powerful calls to action.   

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)

This coming-of-age film is practically required viewing for everyone who has ever gone to high school. Charlie, the film’s protagonist, is navigating his first year of high school experiencing anxiety and depression. Melancholic and heartfelt, this film is a certified tear-jerker. 

Ken Burns: The National Parks – America’s Best Idea (2006)

If we can’t go outside and visit the national parks, we can at least see them on the screen. Ken Burn’s docuseries explores the foundation and beauty of America’s public lands—a must-watch for any nature lover. 

Elite (2018-2020)

This Spanish language crime drama is a binge-worthy hit. With the third season newly released, there are plenty of episodes. Las Encinas, the affluent prep school, is chock full of rivalries and tension. 

The Princess Diaries (2001)

While this recommendation is not a unique one, this movie is sure to bring you out of those quarantine blues. A classic feel-good teen comedy follows the story of Mia Thermopolis, the newfound princess of Genovia. Then, after finishing this movie, why not move onto the sequel: The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement?

Many of us are looking for things to do during quarantine. This list is one to finish with a mix of drama, comedy, introspection, and more. Happy watching! 

Emma Donaghy

Louisville '23

Emma is a history and Spanish major at the University of Louisville. She loves films, politics, trivia, organization, and bullet journaling.
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!