This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

The English language is quite difficult to master. We have been learning it since grade school and even then we’re still not perfect at it. On the other hand, when we use the right words at the right time it is one of the best feelings in the world. Those same words we use to express feelings or ideas have the power to sway a whole nation. Anyone can acquire that kind of persuasion with a little charisma, imagination, and practice. Writing is actually pretty fun once you know what you are doing. Personally, that is one of the reasons why I’m not a fan of it, but the more I write the more I actually enjoy it. It is a slow but sure process. If you too find yourself wanting to be a bit more sophisticated, try writing in different styles. For example, in this article, I’ll be attempting to write a poem.

Here are some tips on how to write a lavish poem according to Master Class. First, try not to obsess over how you start your poem. It is understandable that we all have been taught to grab the reader’s attention on the first line. However, that just slows you down from the rest of the poem. Next, start off with small poems, then work your way up to more complex poems. Another writing tip is to embrace the use of a thesaurus or a rhyming dictionary. In addition to this, using literary devices such as metaphors and imagery can take your writing skills to the next level. Finally, the last piece of advice is to read poetry in your spare time in order to strike up inspiration. Using these tips, here’s a haiku I wrote.

“The World in Quarantine”

The flowers blossom,

And nature thrives once again.

We watch from inside.

Something as small as a Haiku can be beautiful. I never knew I had it in me. With this much free time, it is always a good idea to try something new. Especially if it is outside of your usual comfort zone. You won’t do everything right the first go around. Learn from your mistakes and use them to keep moving forward.

Brianna Fielding

Louisiana Tech '22

Hello! I am junior at LA Tech University. My major is Medical Technology but what I really love to do is be creative. Whether it is DIY projects, sewing, painting, etc. Random fact:I love sunflowers and roses! (Best combination of flowers to me) ^_^