This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Have you ever had someone ask you how things are going, and you simply didn’t know how to respond? Things aren’t necessarily bad, but they aren’t necessarily good either. There may be things going on in your life that you are working on. However, there isn’t much to show for it. The only real way you can answer their question is by saying something along the lines of “I’m working on it.” This is a state of being I call a “work in progress.” Here’s what that means.

The “working on it” limbo.

Being a “work in progress” often means suffering from the “working on it” limbo. The “working on it” limbo, simply put, is when someone has put time and effort into something but hasn’t completed it enough to have anything to show for it. It’s like when you have spent all night studying for an important test, taking the test, and then waiting to get your grade back. You don’t have an answer to whether you did good or bad. You are in between “I’m glad it’s over” and “What should I do now?” This feeling sucks, but the wait will make you feel more fulfilled in the long run. The fruits of your labor will be that much sweeter.

Unsplash
You’re still figuring “it” out.

When you are a “work in progress,” there are plenty of things that you are still trying to figure out. The “it” could mean one specific thing or a bit of everything. This included how you feel towards certain things, important aspects about yourself, what career path you want to be on, life in general, etc. Figuring topics like these out can take a long time and a lot of work. It can get extremely frustrating and make you feel like you don’t know anything. However, you’ll begin to understand the joy in knowing that there is always something new for you to discover. There are always other people who can help you along the way, and new people who can help you figure “it” out together.

Celina Timmerman-Overalls Tattoos And Stripes
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus
You can always change.

I would dare say that everyone is always a “work in progress.” People are always changing, and working towards being a better person. Being a “work in progress” can leave you feeling like the work you are doing isn’t good enough, as if you have made no real headway towards your goals. It doesn’t have to feel this way. If you are putting forth a genuine effort to be better than you have in the past it is a big accomplishment in itself. Some people never make it that far.

You’re going to do great things.

You just haven’t quite gotten there yet, and that’s ok.

Keep it up!!!

Kelsey Blaylock

Louisiana Tech '21

Hi! I'm Kels (They/Them). It's nice to meet you!