This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Mythologically, mountains are the peaks upon which prophets are inspired and visions are revealed. Buddhism and the philosophy of enlightenment spread throughout the Himalayas. Moses received the Ten Commandments from the peak of Mt. Sinai in the Biblical story, and you’ve probably heard the phrase, “if the mountain will not come to Muhamad, then Muhamad must go to the mountain.” Hills and peaks are an important part of the human experience, and they bring us closer to the sky and stars. Mountains can invoke a sense of aesthetic loftiness within our minds. To many people, the state of Louisiana conjures images of low and flat swamplands filled with alligators and cypress trees. What some of us don’t know is that Driskill Mountain, or Mt. Driskill, is less than 30 minutes from Louisiana Tech’s campus. 

Situated 535 feet above sea level, it is the tallest point in Louisiana but the third lowest of the highest state points in the country. Driskill offers fun recreational opportunities for campers, picnickers, and hikers throughout the state. If you’re looking for a place to jog and exercise with more impressive sights than the inside of a gym, Driskill Mountain is full of pleasing woodland scenery. People often visit Driskill on dates and romantic occasions. The Driskill Mountain Trail is only 1.8 miles, and it is recommended for nearly all skill levels. 

Victoria Arnold, a Louisiana Tech alumna, informed me that “the trail isn’t too steep. It gradually makes its way up the mountain. It’s pretty much just straight walking.”  Victoria graduated with her Master’s in English in 2019, and she now runs her own business, Victoria Arnold Photography. 

Arthur\'s Seat in Edinburgh, Scotland
Laura Cavalenes

Victoria has photographed Driskill and even performed a wedding proposal photoshoot upon its peak. However, Driskill Mountain is only one of the mountains she has climbed. As a successful businesswoman and Louisiana Tech alumna, she travels around the country and has been to many mountains and seen many incredible sights. 

Woman standing
Nina Ulhikova
These are the precious experiences that can enlighten a journey. Climbing Mt. Driskill can be the spark that lights the fire of exploration in your life. Upon arriving at the mountain, you should park in the lot near Mt. Zion Presbyterian Church before proceeding up the Driskill Mountain Trail. Then, get ready to appreciate the humble but beautiful peak of Louisiana. In many ways, successfully climbing a mountain is synonymous to success in life. Once you overcome the distance and obstacles of the climb, you can stand at the pinnacle that is overlooking the valley and look back on the places you’ve walked, seeing how much you’ve overcome to arrive at where you are now. 

James Tucker

Louisiana Tech '20

James Tucker is an English graduate student at Louisiana Tech University. Due to his background in rural Arkansas, he enjoys writing about the environment and various outdoor recreational activities. During his time at Tech, he has served as a student ambassador of Liberal Arts, and he has also served as both historian and secretary of Sigma Tau Delta, the international English honor society. James tutors at the Louisiana Tech Writing Center. His favorite areas of research are pre-1660 British lit and British lit from 1790-1920.
Kristen Bastin

Louisiana Tech '20

Technical Writing and Creative Writing student at Louisiana Tech.