Career

“What was that again?” – The Art of Interviewing for Your Career

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Let’s be realistic – high school (and sometimes, even college) isn’t exactly the best environment to prepare you for breaking out into the career-filled world of adulthood. Working to get a job can be an extremely daunting task, especially if you’re not the best speaker. As I work towards graduating in May, I’ve been pressed more and more to get prepared for the post-college world of interviewing for entrance positions in my career, but interview skills aren’t limited to graduation! If you need a job while in college or you’re looking to get a summer internship, understanding the ‘Art’ of interview techniques will surely help you feel more confident as you talk you way into the door!

Note: This article is technically step two of getting into the door with job applications. If you’re looking to learn more about step one, resume building, go check our Brianna’s article about resume skills or my article regarding job materials!

So, you’ve gotten an interview.

First off, congrats! Be sure to celebrate and recognize your accomplishments thus far – not everyone who applies gets called back for an interview. Take a moment to collect yourself and be happy! Having the confidence to recognize your success will make you more effective in your interview overall. 

Now, after that initial high, I can honestly say fear immediately set in for me. “What are they going to ask me?” “What if I mess up on a question?” “What if my internet isn’t great?” Those are just a few of the questions I asked myself once I got called back for a summer internship. While these questions are going to loom around, try to keep fear in the back of your mind. If you let the fear of embarrassment and failure take over your mind, you’ll find it harder to accurately prepare for the daunting task ahead. 

Now, where do you even start?

The first thing I would recommend doing when preparing for an interview is sitting down and making a list of your strengths and weaknesses. Understanding what you bring to the table will help you be more confident when you’re asked to talk about yourself. Be sure to be honest and pick your true strengths, and find a way to defend your weaknesses. Being able to admit you fall short on some things shows humility and can make you look teachable to future employers.

Another helpful thing to do is to go look on job seeking websites for potential questions you could be asked during the interview. Most reviews on job ads show the company’s typical list of questions and attributes they look for in future employees. Getting a feel for what the company will ask will help you feel more confident and prepared. Do your research! It never hurts to be prepared for a question that may not be asked.

Today’s the day! Time to kill it.

An important thing to consider at this point is the format of your interview. If your interview is in person, be sure to dress the part! Look professional and ready to go. If your interview is via Skype, be sure you still look professional! You never know if they will require the interview to use cameras. If your interview is via phone call, I personally still recommend dressing up even though no one will see you. Dressing like you’re going to a physical interview personally makes me feel more confident and ready to kill it. 

Remember, these people are more than likely just as nervous as you. Be sure to speak calmly and take breaths when answering questions. It’s okay to breathe! If you need a moment to collect your thoughts, ask for one. Be honest and accurate when you need time, it’s better to own your thoughts than mess up a question by trying to answer quickly. Remember, they know you’re human! Relax and don’t worry about what you say or don’t say, just answer the questions as best as you can.

Remember, everyone faces the same struggles as you! Walk in and own what you’ve got – you are exceptional and will make it in this world. Have confidence in yourself and recognize that no matter what, you will make it into your career, whether you bomb this interview or do exceptionally well. Good luck, and happy job hunting!

Kristen Bastin

Louisiana Tech '20

Technical Writing and Creative Writing student at Louisiana Tech.