Graduate Celebrating With Confetti
Graduate Celebrating With Confetti
Alanna Martine Kilkeary / Her Campus
Career

#PostGraduationPrep – How to Stack Your Resume to get Noticed During College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

It’s job fair season! Marketing and branding yourself to prepare for the big world outside of college is plenty scary, especially with internship standards looming over your head. Building a resume to be eye-catching for multiple businesses is a heavy task, especially if you haven’t had any formal training on document design and job materials. As a technical writing major, I’ve seen many different forms of documents companies notice during job fairs and online postings. Here’s some tips to boost your resume to get you to your dream job after graduating college

First, think about your “brand”

Who are you? What skills and benefits do you bring to the table? Your resume should highlight the best attributes of yourself, including school achievements, certifications, and skill sets. For example, you can include a “profile” section near the top of your resume to elaborate on your skills. A resume has limited space to talk about your job experiences and attributes, so use your space wisely!

Here’s a helpful website for how to brand yourself for your career: https://www.careeronestop.org/JobSearch/Resumes/ResumeGuide/TopResumeStrategies/sell-yourself-and-your-brand.aspx

Don’t be afraid to be different!

Think about the field you’re wanting to go into after graduation. Engineering, Business, Arts, and Graphic Design all have massively different standards for resumes and educational backgrounds. Don’t let your document style limit the opportunities you can get from companies! Many websites like Pinterest and Canva have different templates you can use to add more flair to your resume. Research different document styles to see what best suits your chosen career. You can use different headers, multiple columns for information, or even different icons for contact information- the possibilities are endless!

Here’s some popular resume designs online: https://www.etsy.com/search?q=resume%20designs 

Color is your friend

Using color within a resume is one of the easiest ways to help your document stand out to future employers. Balancing information will well-placed color dividers can help show organizational strength and demonstrate your ability to create effective documentation online. A colorful header with your contact information also helps your resume stand out from the other hundreds of potential applicants. Don’t go too crazy with color, however, if you are applying for a more stringent career field. Engineering firms won’t be looking for as creative of a design, so be aware of where you are applying and the requirements for the job you’re looking for!

For more tips on using color, visit https://www.resumecoach.com/best-colors-for-your-resume/#targetText=Using%20black%2C%20white%2C%20and%20a,color%20to%20highlight%20important%20parts. 

Ask around for advice 

Chances are, you have plenty of resources easily available to help you make your resume the most effective for your job searches. Reach out to your on-campus career center to review your resume before a job fair. These people are very experienced in helping with resume and job applications, so don’t be afraid to take advantage of the free resources on campus. Your advisor can also help you with your materials, as they will be more familiar with the career path you’ve chosen. Work with the resources you’ve got to give yourself the best opportunity to further your career!

Louisiana Tech’s Career Center: https://www.latech.edu/current-students/student-advancement-affairs/career-center/

Your resume can make or break your career, but don’t let fear prevent you from creating the best document you can! Use your resources and trust your instincts to put yourself in the best position to boost your career after graduating. Let your resume be a reflection of all your great qualities and get you to the places you want to be!

Kristen Bastin

Louisiana Tech '20

Technical Writing and Creative Writing student at Louisiana Tech.