This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Hey, everyone! As I have mentioned in probably almost all of my articles, I am engaged!  Throughout this relationship, there have been many things that I have learned both from the relationship and from research. If you want to know what I think are the most important factors that can be had in a relationship, then read ahead.

Throughout my research, I have learned that the most important thing in any relationship is respect. This means not only respecting your partner but also yourself, and it comes in many forms. One form is that you should both be living your own lives as well. By doing this, it allows both of you to grow alone and then come together to grow as one. It could also mean that no means no. I believe that boundaries are meant to be pushed, but there is always a hard limit that should be respected.  

man and woman balloons kissing
Photo by freestocks.org from Pexels
In a relationship, there are always going to be problems that arise, It is important to realize that it is not one versus the other, but rather it is the couple versus the problem. If someone does something wrong, both of you should work together to fix the situation and try to prevent it from happening again in the future.

My favorite tip is the simplest one: Listen. By this, I mean that you should listen to understand what is being said and not to form a counter-argument. By doing this you can learn a lot about your partner, and it allows you to show that you are an active listener, which would also insinuate respect. This is probably the easiest tip, but I know that it could also be the most challenging, especially if you would rather be doing something else, but it does not take much effort.

In my opinion, these are the most important things I have learned in bringing relationships to the next level. I hope that you have learned something and now know how to better your own relationship. This will be my last article in HerCampus because I graduated last quarter. Thank you all so much for letting me be a part of this wonderful organization!

Bernard Kelleher

Louisiana Tech '19

Hello, My name is Bernard Kelleher. I prefer to go by Bern though. I am a senior in Nanosystems Engineering at LA Tech. I heard about Her Campus from a family member and I really liked the idea and want to be a part of it. I don't have much writing experience. I really have only written what was required of me in my school courses. I do like to read though, and look forward to possibly getting better at writing. In my free time there are several things I like to do. I spend most of my time with my fiance. Together, we play games and travel. We have a Siamese cat, Alice, who I like to play with. Thank you!