Thinking About Staying Home for College? Here’s My Experience!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

The excitement of your senior year of high school, making a college decision, graduating, and counting down the days until you move out are all things a lot of us experience. Some of us choose to stay home and commute to school. Here’s what it’s like:

man driving vehicle with GPS system turned on
Photo by Dan Gold from Unsplash
The Commute 

To be honest, my commute is hardly a commute. I live almost ten minutes away from Louisiana Tech University. Still, the drive is something I have to consider when planning my day. If I have a class at 11:00, I try to leave my house twenty minutes early in case of traffic (which there usually is). If I lived on campus, I could totally walk out of my dorm at 10:50. If your commute is further and as someone who lived thirty minutes away from her high school, this commute isn’t too bad either. I did have to wake up earlier than most of my classmates, but I had thirty minutes to enjoy my coffee while jamming out on the road. If your commute is forty-five minutes or less, I totally recommend living at home! 

Family cooking together
Photo by August de Richelieu from Pexels
The Parents (and other family members)

If you happen to have helicopter parents, it’s possible living at home is not the best option for you. Luckily, my parents have recognized that I am now a responsible adult, and they respect me and the freedoms I now have. Of course, there are still times where they want to know where I am, but it is all in the intention of making sure I am safe. 

Here’s a con: little brothers. Don’t get me wrong, I love my brothers. Sometimes though, sharing a bathroom puts our relationships to the test. I like to keep my living spaces neat–so when there’s a shirt on the floor right beside the laundry hamper… I am sure you can understand the rest. However, chances are when you go to college you will have housemates or roommates anyways. Sharing living spaces is something the majority of us will have to navigate at some point in our lives. 

Putting money in a piggy bank
Photo by Damir Spanic from Unsplash
The Money

I have already saved thousands of dollars by not leasing a dorm or renting an apartment. I am in my third and final quarter of freshman year. Let’s do some math: Rent of $500 a month times 7 months (September –April) is $3,500. Wow. This does not include a meal plan either (which is mandatory on most college campuses). While I am buying more gas than if I lived on campus and walked everywhere, I think gas and car maintenance is a small price to pay to save money in the long run. If you are looking to save money during college, living at home is the best way to start. 

white long sleeve shirt sitting on grass
Photo by Keira Burton from Pexels
The College Experience

A big argument for living on campus is to get the college experience. I believe that the college experience is what you make of it. It is totally possible to live on campus and never leave your dorm, and it’s totally possible to live at home and be super involved with organizations on campus. I am involved with two organizations on campus, and I attend university events as well. If missing out on the college experience is one of your concerns with living at home, it shouldn’t be!! 

Living at home is not for everyone. Living on campus is not for everyone. Each person has to weigh all of the factors to make the best decision for themselves. Remember, the point of attending college is obtaining a degree and having some fun in the process. I hope sharing my experience has helped you in your decision-making process, and I wish you the best! 

Anna Claire Amidon

Louisiana Tech '24

AC is majoring in accounting. When she is not studying, sleeping, or shopping, she enjoys showing her horse Julio in dressage competitions.
I'm a Junior Creative Writing major and Editor in Cheif for the Her Campus chapter at Louisiana Tech University, who hopes to be a professional writer/editor one day! I love to joke around, but also talk about critical moments in my life and those that surround me to hopefully offer entertainment and guidance to my readers!