body images 2020 01 24 couple20with20petsjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2020 01 24 couple20with20petsjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Things to Do With Your Significant Other

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Sometimes it seems hard to do things with your boyfriend/girlfriend without spending a lot of money. I’m here to let you in on a few things that I have done in relationships as well as things that are available to try that I haven’t gotten to do yet. Most of these activities are inexpensive or don’t cost anything at all! I have definitely used Pinterest in the past to find new things to do, but now that I have a bucket list of things to do I thought I’d share a few ideas with all of you.  

• Go to a Concert

• Stargaze

A girl and a guy sitting on a couch and smiling with video game controllers in their hands.
Photo by Cottonbro on Pexels

• Card/Board/Video Games – Games are such a great way to learn more about how your partner thinks strategically and how funny they can be.
  • Have a Picinic

• Painting – painting is a lot of fun in my opinion and there are multiple things you can paint. It can get messy but it’s always fun seeing the other person’s creativity and then being able to put it on the wall to admire it every day and reminisce on the memories.

girl and boy on a horse
Photo by Valerie Fomina from Unsplash

• Horseback Riding   

• Binge Watch a TV Series – I finished Cobra Kai in two weeks with my boyfriend. It was so relaxing, entertaining, and allows me to look forward to the next season coming out (January 8). There are endless options of shows and movies with all the streaming services there are such as Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, HBO Max, and so on.

• Go to a Sports Game or Theater Performance

couple standing in front of stove in kitchen
Photo by Soroush Karimi from Unsplash

• Cook Your Favorite Meals – You have to eat, so why not eat together? This is a way of sharing your interests and trying new things.

• Grocery/Clothing Shopping – Going to the grocery store is something that’s a necessity, but it doesn’t have to be a hassle. Clothes shopping isn’t always mandatory, but it can be a lot of fun especially if you pick out outfits for each other.

• Decorate

• Hang Out With Each Other’s Friends – It’s very important to be friends with their friends so that you can be together more and not take time away from either of your friends’ time. It also helps you feel less left out when they make plans because you’ll most likely be invited (unless it’s a guys/girls night).

man standing on stool and woman sitting on floor while painting walls in white
Photo by Roselyn Tirado from Unsplash

• Go to a Party

• Learn How to Dance – For any of the students here at Louisiana Tech’s campus, they have a salsa class that teaches you how to dance, but they also have Zumba classes where you can learn dances while working out (it’s just not an as romantic of dances).

• Go to Church

• Walk Your Dog or Volunteer at a Local Animal Shelter – It’s really nice to spend time with your pets, but it’s also fun to give dogs/cats attention and love those who don’t have a forever home at the moment. 4Paws is a local shelter in Ruston, but I know there’s more in the surrounding cities such as West Monroe, Monroe, and Shreveport.

man and woman kissing on stairs
Photo by Eduardo Pastor from Unsplash

• Exercise  

• Go on a Long Drive – I have recently learned that driving around together gives you extra time to get to know each other, spend time together, and enjoy each other’s music tastes.

Don’t forget to make time for each other! Life is tough and gets busy at times, but that doesn’t mean you have to stop having fun with your significant other during the week or on the weekends. You only have one life. You don’t stay young forever, so remember you’re never too old to try new things. Live for the now and take a leap of faith to share experiences and create memories with the person you care most about.  

Mandy Parker

Louisiana Tech '23

I'm a sophomore majoring in sociology. I just want to help people wherever I can. Tomorrow is never promised, so I live for the moments we have now.