This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

It’s hard sometimes knowing or deciding on what to do any time of year, but especially during spring when you know good and well summer is right around the corner. I’ve made a list of productive and fun things to do for you!  

• Spring Cleaning – I know, we’ve all heard it before. Even though it’s not the most fun, it can be really beneficial. Not only do you start on a “clean slate” so to speak, but you can also help others whether it’s donating clothes or other household items to a local nonprofit. Sometimes stores like Plato’s Closet in Monroe let you swap your clothes for some of their clothes (depending on how much the clothes you brought are worth) and that means a nice new spring wardrobe! 

spring cleaning in the kitchen
Photo by Brooke Lark from Unsplash

• To-do lists – making lists can be organized and a fun way to look forward to future things you want to do such as saving money or going out on a date.

• Saving money – If you’ve ever wanted a summer vacation or something else that you might have needed and didn’t have enough money? Say no more. Write down all your transactions and cut back on the things you don’t necessarily need like that oreo ice cream from Walmart.

admiring hiking girl with hat and backpack
Photo by Ivana Cajina from Unsplash

• Hiking – I’ve written about hiking before, but hiking is really good for your body and your soul. You can admire the beauty around you and have a place to find peace within yourself away from all the negativity in your everyday life.

• Plan out your time – make time for yourself to have that nice warm bubble bath while watching Netflix or listening to soothing music. It’s nice to have “me” time, but don’t forget about your friends either. It’s hard being in school, having a job, and having time for friends so free some time up for them too. They miss you! That’s why it’s so important to write down the days you have work, the days you have exams, and the days you’re free for you, for your friends, or BOTH.

painting of flowers for the spring
Photo by Victoria Bilsborough from Unsplash

• Painting – Hobbies are a great way to destress and sometimes, even make a little side money if you’re good at it. It doesn’t have to be limited to painting, though, it can be soap or candle making, pillow or blanket sewing, and yes even cooking. 

You can do some of these at the SAME time. You can save money, make time with your friends, and most of all have fun. All you need to do is look into the places around you locally and see what’s what. Here in Ruston, you can thrift at Rolling Hills, attend local concerts downtown, drive to Dubach to shop at the Bayou Creek Trade Days the first weekend of every month, and you can have a nice romantic picnic of your choice from three different parks. Don’t forget to check on the weather, though, because sometimes one minute it’s warm and the next minute it’s cold, or sometimes it’s sunny then rainy the next. My point is, dress appropriately so you don’t catch a cold!

I would put celebrate Valentine’s at a restaurant and go to a Mardi Gras parade, but that’s impossible with Covid still going on. There are still other fun things to do, but you aren’t the only one sad about missing out on those things.

wine kind of picnic
Photo by Kate Hliznitsova from Unsplash

There are always things to do, sites to see, and places to go, but I want to remind you to not wish your life away. Spring is coming, so be prepared for it, but there’s a difference in being prepared and looking forward to it so much that you aren’t really in the here and now. You can still do most of those things year-round. Life is but a vapor in the wind, one day here and the next day gone. Have fun and make memories now instead of daydreaming about the future too much because tomorrow is never promised. I hope you have a wonderful spring and make the most of every day you have.

Mandy Parker

Louisiana Tech '23

I'm a sophomore majoring in sociology. I just want to help people wherever I can. Tomorrow is never promised, so I live for the moments we have now.
I'm a Junior Creative Writing major and Editor in Cheif for the Her Campus chapter at Louisiana Tech University, who hopes to be a professional writer/editor one day! I love to joke around, but also talk about critical moments in my life and those that surround me to hopefully offer entertainment and guidance to my readers!