This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

We are always told to take care of our bodies. The food we eat must be super healthy and in small portions. That is only half the truth. This is causing a weird image of what healthy eating should look like in real life. I’m here to let you know that you do not need to starve yourself or eat foods you don’t like to keep your body in good condition. Also, since we are in a pandemic, it is crucial to have your body in top shape, ready to fight the pathogens that may attack your body. According to professionals, here is what they define as a balanced diet.

Vegan dinner and vegetables on a table
Photo by Ella Olsson from Pexels
When your body doesn’t get enough of its daily essential nutrients is how issues will emerge. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend we have a colorful eating palette. What does this mean? Well, for every meal, your plate should have some protein, grain, vegetables, fruit, and dairy. It’s called the MyPlate setup. If you don’t hit all these points, it’s okay. You can catch it on your next meal. 

cake bite
Photo by Jordane Mathieu from Unsplash
Now, going into more detail, here are the types of food to keep track of versus food to focus on. You can without a doubt still enjoy the comfort food that you love. The only catch is that you should indulge in those types of food only once a week or less. Focus more on fruits, vegetables, and calcium-rich foods. A wide array of fresh, canned, or frozen fruit and veggies are always a good choice, except for products that have a lot of added sugars, syrups, and salt. For added measures, aim more whole grains and lean meats. 

Healthy food
Photo by Ola Mischenko from Unsplash
Self-care doesn’t always look like relaxing bubble baths and face masks but a true look at oneself to fix and improve any attribute that we deem necessary. Everyone is doing their best to be the best version of themselves. Even with the pandemic and state of America, we will continue to persevere! 

Brianna Fielding

Louisiana Tech '22

Hello! I am junior at LA Tech University. My major is Medical Technology but what I really love to do is be creative. Whether it is DIY projects, sewing, painting, etc. Random fact:I love sunflowers and roses! (Best combination of flowers to me) ^_^
I'm a Junior Creative Writing major and Editor in Cheif for the Her Campus chapter at Louisiana Tech University, who hopes to be a professional writer/editor one day! I love to joke around, but also talk about critical moments in my life and those that surround me to hopefully offer entertainment and guidance to my readers!