Career

Questions to Ask Yourself When Looking For a Career

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

It is so stressful to choose a career that you are supposed to have until you retire. The pressure is put on us at a very young age can be intense! In some cases, people know what they want to do at ten years old and it works out. However, some people do not have a clue about what to do. While in high school, college, or already working, it is okay to not know what career path you are passionate about, yet! It is important to remember it is never too late to start on your path or to change your current one! 

Woman studying photos
Photo by Elle Hughes from Canva

• What are your interests?

I think this should be an important consideration when choosing a career choice. Simply because I believe the majority of a person’s time and energy should go into something that contributes greatly to their happiness. If that isn’t a #1 priority in your life because the struggle is very much real, at least let your happiness and mental health be in the top five.

• Will this be your main source of income?

Today, especially due to the pandemic, the salary of a career choice will be vital to many people right now, whether we like it or not. On the other hand, if you want to be in a career field that isn’t your main passion, it would be a great idea to invest in a hobby. That hobby could be your side hustle or just a great way to pass time.

Woman with phone at desk
Photo by Bruce Mars from Unsplash

• What skills do you have or wish to have?

Your experience can take you far no matter what field you are looking into. If you have a skill you are good at, try researching what jobs require that sort of expertise. It truly has surprised me what kind of jobs are available out there. Then again, most of the jobs I’m exposed to are only limited to what I see in person.

These three questions would more than likely narrow your vision on a career of your choice. As a reminder, it is completely acceptable to change your career path because we continue to grow, and things change as time goes on. With confidence, I know you will succeed! If you need more information and guidance, reach out to the career center your campus might provide. If not, the world wide web is at your disposal. I wish you luck on your journey!

P.S. Here is a link I used that helped open my perspective.

https://careersoutthere.com/15-career-development-topics-that-will-follow-you-through-life/

Brianna Fielding

Louisiana Tech '22

Hello! I am junior at LA Tech University. My major is Medical Technology but what I really love to do is be creative. Whether it is DIY projects, sewing, painting, etc. Random fact:I love sunflowers and roses! (Best combination of flowers to me) ^_^
I'm a Junior Creative Writing major and Editor in Cheif for the Her Campus chapter at Louisiana Tech University, who hopes to be a professional writer/editor one day! I love to joke around, but also talk about critical moments in my life and those that surround me to hopefully offer entertainment and guidance to my readers!