This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

In a time when the world is at a standstill, it’s our responsibility to remain entertained and be cautious of the content we consume. We try to be productive in our activities. Instead of sleeping in, we run a mile in the morning. Maybe switching the way we eat and finally give in to that Vegan diet, or even trading those sweet chocolates for hours of yoga. Resolutions fuel our positive internal need to keep moving in such a stagnant time of life, the Pandemic. Well, I’m here to say, take a break and allow yourself a few hours of casual and relaxing “binge time,” a certain amount of quality time with yourself watching an intriguing series where you also gain knowledge without even realizing. Here are FIVE of my top shows you must watch by New Years.

woman wearing black shirt eating popcorn
Photo by JESHOOTS.com from Pexels

1. Lucifer- In 2016, Netflix dropped this hot show about the Devil himself living in Los Angelos, The City of Angels. Luci becomes bored with Hell & decides LA is the place to be. As an owner of the nightclub, Lux, he’s a high-status desire gifting businessmen. The cleverness of his persona captivates the viewers when he partners up with Detective Chloe Decker. Are they a match made in Heaven? Watch all five seasons to find out how the celestial beings cause havoc right here on Earth.
  2. Ratched- A tantalizingly new tale of a horrid nurse released this month. Some have speculated the main character, Mildred Ratched, is based on reality &, in fact, terrorized her patients. This corrupt woman is played by Sarah Paulson, who’s most famous for her characters in the award-winning show ” America Horror Story.” Also, an excellent series to binge, especially since Halloween is very near!

3. Greenleaf- Drawing back from the horrors that the Fall season brings, I include a personal delight, especially in the African- American community. Grace Greenleaf visits home but, as most can relate, ends up staying. While there, she uncovers the secrets of her family, church, and the community. The Greenleaf’s are well respected, but their relationships are continuously tested, starting with their incorrigible Uncle Mack! Will the church stand firm under God’s light or will truth reign down on the unjust? Oh, by the way, Oprah Winfrey produced and acted in this drama-filled sitcom.

4. You- Love is a funny word and an even more powerful feeling for some people. Joe Goldberg displays his love through feats of conflict as he “protects” the love of his life. Somehow this psychotic book manager takes us on a journey, showing us how complex love can be. Viewers fall for Joe slowly as he composes devious schemes to win over his newfound prospect, Beck. Two full seasons are on Netflix, leaving us wondering who is next to enter this thriller’s entangling web of deceit.

5. Pose- No, this isn’t like RuPaul Drag’s Race darlings, but it sure is a must-see. Ballrooms, societies of all people, and great musical scenes were all I ever needed to give this show an A+. In such a modern time, we must realize how influential the LGBTQ+ community was in today’s trends. Blanca, the “Mother” of her house, raises beautiful children trying to make a name for themselves in a cruel society back in the early 1990s. She finds herself in a predicament when she and several elders are plagued by disease. Watch this new series to laugh and cry with Angel, the inspiring model, and other young people, just wanting to show the world how fantastic their sexuality and individuality is.

New Girl Nick Miller TV GIF
Giphy / Fox

Remember, each show comes with it’s on diverse purposes, and as you pop open that bag of M&Ms, don’t forget to enjoy yourselves.

Bianca Houser

Louisiana Tech '23

Hi I'm Bianca H, some call me Terra. Focused in Liberal Arts and classifying as a sophomore with spunk! Usually, drawing and socializing. Catch me on campus next year but due to Pandemic we'll only communicate through the Web. Peace, love and curls!
I'm a Junior Creative Writing major and Editor in Cheif for the Her Campus chapter at Louisiana Tech University, who hopes to be a professional writer/editor one day! I love to joke around, but also talk about critical moments in my life and those that surround me to hopefully offer entertainment and guidance to my readers!