This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

As a southern belle, I’ve always had a soft spot for country music. Stomping ‘round in my cowgirl boots and tipping my hat over, is as familiar to me as breathing. Ballads played with a guitar strumming softly behind it over a cold beer never hurt any of us.

headphones leaning against a stack of records
Photo by blocks from Unsplash

1. Tennessee Whiskey- This old classic by Chris Stapleton brings us to compare love with some of the smoothest liquors. He says “ You’re as smooth as Tennessee Whiskey, You’re as sweet as strawberry wine.” Stapleton details how lonely he was and close to being to the bottom of his bottle but the love for “her” kept him from running dry. It’s one of my favorite oldies!

2. Die From A Broken Heart- How do you get a red- wine stain out of a white dress? Maddie and Tae are the cutest duo! A song full of empathy for a heartbroken girl. Questions full of wonder about how to move on from a breakup. “How does he sleep at night? Mama, the nerve of this guy” A woman’s anthem for the complications that occur when you have to accept the after-effects that men leave you with.

3. Even Though I’m Leaving- If you’re a “Daddy’s Girl” like I am, this song may bring tears to your eyes. For any daughter away at school, this song may cause you to be homesick. “ Daddy, I’m afraid, won’t you stay a little while? I never thought I’d see the day I had to say goodbye.” A song about needing your dad by your side and the internal fear that without him life can seem extremely difficult. The first verse starts with a childhood aspect to the last verse referring to either his death or a long term separation into adulthood. It’s definitely a tune that pulls on your heartstrings!

electric jazz guitar
    Photo by Thomas Kelley from Unsplash

4. Rumor-  As a small-town woman, I truly relate to the lyrics of this song. “There’s a rumor going ‘round about me and you. Stirring up our little town the last week or two.” New love can spark up many whispers from the community as people wonder if the two have found love. Lee Brice wants to make the rumor true and forget about the drama, secrets, and speculations. A good ole love song.

5. If I Die Young- Imagine dying at a young age and all the things you didn’t get a chance to experience. The Band Perry cooked up this classic about leaving Earth and the memories they’d leave for their families and friends. How we are thought of more after death than while living? “If I die young, bury me in satin, lay me down on a bed of roses.” The music video is about an angel being sent to heaven where she’s been reincarnated as a rainbow to shine down on her mother. It’s a sad but sweet letter to the world!

6. She Got The Best Of Me-  “ Seventeen don’t think that much about life, You’re just livin’.” A truthful nostalgic line of youthful days where you had no cares. Luke Combs currently is one of my favorite country artists. In summary, he’s spilling his soul out about how his ex got the best parts of him, now it’s just him and his guitar traveling around, but “she” still haunts him night and night. 

drum set with LED lights
    Photo by Israel Palacio from Unsplash

7. Cool Again- Looking for a handsome artist? Well, Kane fits that description! Mr. Brown wants a replay of the summer love he had before. He’s asking to be friends with a woman. If you like a funky guitar melody, this is the song for you!

8. How Not To- Okay, guys this is an all-time favorite! It’s a powerful ballad. “But I’d probably turn down your road, Knock, knock on your door, Fall back in your arms, Wake up in the morning, Hatin’ myself and the way that I can’t help, The way I still want you”   The awesome duo, Dan+Shay, always leave us with beautiful music genius! If you are in love or have ever been, you’ll love this song & many more like it such as: Speechless, 10,000 Hours, and I Should Probably Go To Bed. 

9. Friends Don’t-  What do you and your “friends’’ do? “Friends don’t call you in the middle of the night, Couldn’t even tell you why, They just felt like saying “hi”, Friends don’t stand around, playing with their keys, Finding reasons not to leave, Trying to hide the chemistry.” Have you done any of these things with a close guy friend, lately? Well, you may be on a road towards romance according to this girl duo. Maddie and Tae say that if friends do certain stuff together, they might be something more. It’s a lovely crush-ballad!

vintage microphone with colorful lights in the background
    Photo by Israel Palacio from Unsplash

10. I Hope- Gabby Barrett gives us a good old forget-him track. She hopes the next girl is everything he will ever need, hoping they both feel the sparks by the end of the night. She hopes she comes along, and she wrecks all of his dreams. She even hopes he spends his last dollar on buying her a ring. Then last but not least, she hopes the woman cheats. It’s a vengeful tune about how she wishes he gets the same medicine he gave her. Ladies, I am here for it! If you’ve been done wrong, you’ll love how she gives him the goodbye letter he deserves. The video is terrific and, I advise every woman to watch it!

Each tune dramatically tells a story! Country will always hold a spot in my heart. Some are for rainy days, while others are for bonfires surrounded by friends and family. Get your hat and boots, and be ready to line dance to the soothing strings of a guitar.

Bianca Houser

Louisiana Tech '23

Hi I'm Bianca H, some call me Terra. Focused in Liberal Arts and classifying as a sophomore with spunk! Usually, drawing and socializing. Catch me on campus next year but due to Pandemic we'll only communicate through the Web. Peace, love and curls!
I'm a Junior Creative Writing major and Editor in Cheif for the Her Campus chapter at Louisiana Tech University, who hopes to be a professional writer/editor one day! I love to joke around, but also talk about critical moments in my life and those that surround me to hopefully offer entertainment and guidance to my readers!