body images 2019 05 23 Amanda Body 3jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 05 23 Amanda Body 3jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Personal Experience as a Chihuahua Parent: Pros and Cons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

I have been a Chihuahua parent for almost one year! I grew up with Chihuahuas, but the experience of owning my own as a college student has opened my eyes to some new aspects of Chihuahua ownership. I would love to say every second has been perfect, but we all know life has its ups and downs. Keep reading for the pros and cons of caring for Chihuahuas in my personal experience. 

1. Size

As you may know, Chihuahuas are one of the smallest dog breeds. This is one of their best features, but can also lead to some shenanigans. I love the way my Chihuahuas can curl up in my lap while I watch tv. They also fit nicely into my college student-sized apartment, and he eats a good amount of food for my college student-sized budget. However, Chihuahuas’ small size may influence their defensiveness towards new or unknown people or dogs. I might act tough too if I was that small though. Another consideration to take about their size is that they have small bladders, they make sure I get an ample amount of sunshine each day!

2. Pack Mentality

All dogs are descended from wolves, a pack animal, but in my opinion, Chihuahuas exhibit this trait to the extreme. Once you are a part of their pack you will be for life. The bond I have with my Chihuahuas is such a source of joy in my life. Their pack mentality is also a characteristic I have been wary of. Packs have specific roles, and for the safety of my Chihuahuas as with all breeds, I needed to make sure they know I’m the leader and protector, and not the other way around. 

3. Health

Lastly, Chihuahuas, like many breeds, have health concerns specifically related to their kind. Chihuahuas do have significant life spans compared to some much larger dogs, and every day I get to spend with my happy, healthy Chihuahuas is pro for me! However, to keep them happy throughout their long lives, their health needs to be taken care of. One example of a likely ailment of Chihuahuas is tooth decay and disease, and brushing two dogs’ teeth each day has been a learning experience for the three of us! Always look to your pet’s health provider for medical advice!

Like I said every moment can’t be perfect, but the perfect moments make up for the rest. I love my Chihuahuas! If you are planning to invite one (or many) into your family, I hope my personal experiences can be of use to you! 

Taylor Linke

Louisiana Tech '21

Taylor Linke is a Senior Forestry student at LA Tech with a concentration in Forest Management, and a contributing writer under the La Tech HC Chapter. She enjoys getting outdoors, being active, and painting.
I'm a Junior Creative Writing major and Editor in Cheif for the Her Campus chapter at Louisiana Tech University, who hopes to be a professional writer/editor one day! I love to joke around, but also talk about critical moments in my life and those that surround me to hopefully offer entertainment and guidance to my readers!