This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

By the end of 2020, I had officially hit a slump. My days were dragging, assignments were piling up, and my stress was through the roof. I was struggling to stay on top of everything, and I didn’t have much motivation to get everything done. Not only did I feel like I was falling behind, but I focused so much on getting through the days, that I lost sight of the little things in life. 

overhead view of a woman sitting in front of her laptop
Photo by energepic.com from Pexels
This year, I committed myself to start fresh. New schedule, new mindset, and new everyday routine. I want to make a promise to myself to make more memories, take better care of myself, and just enjoy everything this year brings. To do that, I decided the best thing I could do was make a daily plan for 2021.

When I wake up in the morning, I have a really bad habit of staying in bed for twenty minutes to an hour before I get my day started. This year, that bad habit stops. Now I plan on getting out of bed as soon as my alarm goes off. I want to start my days off strong, and taking charge of my day at the very beginning is a great way to do that. 

laptop, coffee, writing
Photo by Thought Catalog from Unsplash
After getting out of bed, washing my face, and drinking my daily cup of coffee, I will dive right into my homework assignments. Starting my work this early is important to me because I’ve found that the morning time is when I am the most productive. That’s why I plan to wake up, get my school work out of the way, to ensure that a larger portion of my day can be dedicated to other things.

Depending on the amount of school work I have, will depend on how much time I spend studying, working, or enjoying my day. Though no matter how much I have on my plate, I want to ensure that I do a few things to take charge of my day to day life.

person holding book in a bath
Photo by Taryn Elliott from Pexels
I want to keep a positive mindset and take time to do the things I love. Whether I spend an hour or thirty minutes reading, taking a bath, watching a show, or working out, I need to make sure I take the time to rejuvenate and refresh my mind. I have a bad habit of working myself dry until there isn’t much left to work with. This year I want to treat my body and mind the way it deserves.

This year holds a lot of hope, promise, and optimism for many people around the world. For me, this looks like taking better care of myself, for you it could mean a new workout plan, reaching your biggest goals, or traveling more. Either way, I hope you spend this year loving your life and appreciate the little moments in this wonderful new year. 

As a little girl, I spent hours writing stories. Obviously they weren't exactly bestsellers, but it was my passion nevertheless. I would fill up my notebooks with everything I didn't know how to say out loud, and anything I could imagine. Now, as a college student, I'm chasing my dream one word at a time. I'm currently studying English and Marketing, with the intention of becoming an editor.
I'm a Junior Creative Writing major and Editor in Cheif for the Her Campus chapter at Louisiana Tech University, who hopes to be a professional writer/editor one day! I love to joke around, but also talk about critical moments in my life and those that surround me to hopefully offer entertainment and guidance to my readers!