This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

When writing a book, each author has a theme in hopes of teaching the readers a lesson. However, not all authors convey their point thoroughly or strong enough. It isn’t hard to find books that contain fun and adventurous stories, but only a few of those stories will touch your heart. Here are some books that will blow you away.

1. The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman​​

This is a story about a couple, Isabel and Tom, who live in isolation due to Tom’s job as the lighthouse keeper on an island called Janus Rock. Isabel is happy enough, in the beginning, but after going through two miscarriages and a stillbirth she falls into a depression. Until one day a boat arrives with a dead man and a little baby. Against Tom’s better judgment, Isabel convinces him to claim the baby as their own. Two years later, they travel back to the mainland and realize that their actions have consequences.

The author, Stedman, dives into the mindset of Isabel and everything she has gone through, allowing the readers to understand her point of view. In addition, this is a story about values, mental health, and how the actions of one person can affect everyone around them.

2. The Color of Water by James McBride

Raised by a black man and a woman who denied her white heritage, McBride gives tribute to his mother, Ruth McBride, and the struggles she faced throughout her lifetime. Ruth’s story begins in her parents’ house, where she witnesses her parents’ loveless marriage and suffers from her abusive father. Though her struggles continue after she leaves her parents. She becomes a widow twice, faces discrimination of her race due to the family she had, and lives in poverty with twelve children. Though she was still able to power through and raise her children well and even put them all through college.

This story is about an amazing woman who didn’t let her struggles define her. She teaches readers to not look at race and to instead look at people’s hearts.

3. Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston

Hermione Winters is the captain of her cheerleading squad. The summer before her senior year, she goes to a training camp with her team and other teams across the state. However, one night at a party someone slips something into her drink and everything goes dark. When she wakes up the next morning, she knows exactly what has happened to her and realizes that she now has some hard decisions to make. 

This story focuses on the aftermath of sexual assault and the choices that women have to make in order to move on.  

4. House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. Maas

Bryce Quinlan is a half-faerie half-human who had a perfect life until her best friend is murdered. When the suspect is in jail and the murders begin again, Bryce and Hunt, a fallen angel, team up to look into the deaths to find out who is responsible. Filled with secrets and betrayal, this high fantasy world will keep you on the edge of your set the entire time.

Maas teaches her readers the importance of friendship and that it still survives long after a loved one is gone. 

5. A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh Mafi

A year after the events of 9/11, Shirin faces several avenues of discrimination for being a Muslim. She is tired of the mental and even physical abuse that she receives due to her race, so she built up walls that protect her from the hurtful words and stares. Then one day, she meets Ocean James who actually is interested in getting to know Shirin. 

Tahereh Mafi’s fictional story tells of the real-life struggles that young Muslim girls faced after 9/11. However, she also gives hope that there are good people that don’t believe in the stereotypes.

These books are the type of stories that will keep you thinking about them long after they are finished, so go check them out.    

Cammie Ardoin

Louisiana Tech '23

Hi, my name is Cammie and I love music and books. I am also very headstrong and passionate.