This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

On April 6, 2018, John Krasinki’s new horror film A Quiet Place premiered in theaters everywhere. It was almost immediately a box office hit, grossing $50 million dollars from their debut. Since its release, it’s received numerous raving reviews about how good of a movie it is. So far it has received a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes, and an 8.2/10 on IMDb.

The film features John Krasinski, who is also the director, and his wife, Emily Blunt, and the premise of the movie is that their family has to stay quiet because they are hiding from something that will kill them when it can hear them.

Usually, I’m not a fan of horror films. I’m a pretty big baby most of the time, sometimes even Criminal Minds is too scary for me. However, I’m a big fan of John Krasinski, a.k.a. The young Jim Halpert, and I was really excited to see this big shift in character for him. Quite frankly, I was afraid that it wasn’t going to be very good, or that no one was going to be able to see him as anything other than “That guy from The Office.”

Fortunately, I was very pleasantly surprised. Even though I spent a majority of the movie hiding behind my jacket or almost jumping into my boyfriend’s lap, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It was beautifully shot, and I really enjoyed how ambiguous they were when it came to what was chasing them. I also really liked the idea of a movie with little to almost no dialogue. A majority of it was silent, and the actors mostly spoke in sign language with captions for the audience. There were a few jump-scares, but what can you expect from an almost entirely silent movie?

I also think the fact that there was a huge lack of dialogue in the movie really help John Krasinski break out of the Jim Halpert mold. He doesn’t speak until later in the movie, and at that point, you’re already invested and haven’t even thought about Jim and his shenanigans.

Overall though, the underlying theme of the movie seemed to show what people were willing to do for those they love, especially one’s family. I feel like horror movies that have been coming out recently that are produced by comedians, like Jordan Peele’s Get Out, are trying to send a deeper message to their audiences through their films, all while giving their fans the thrill of a horror film.

Check out A Quiet Place at your local theater today! Be sure to bring a blanket to hide under.

Lizzy Sanders

Louisiana Tech

Senior Editor and lover of cats.
Zoey Hickman

Louisiana Tech '20

Zoey is a Junior Psychology Major. When she's not managing the HC chapter at Louisiana Tech University, she's probably doing freelance work, performing her original music, or working on her podcast! Her favorite things in the world are coffee, scary movies, and fashion.