This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

A little more than a year ago, I was walking through Walmart with my then girlfriend.  We were walking back to school supplies and we passed the crafts section. We decided to stop and look around, where I noticed a loom and thought it looked interesting.  The giant wall of the yarns also caught my eye. After some looking, we decided to get a loom and some blue yarn to make a scarf. For the next several weeks, we spent much of our time working on the scarf.  We did a simple pattern on the loom and watched it grow row by row. After nearly a month, we had finished. We now had knitted our first project: an 8 inch wide 8 foot scarf.

Loom knitting is the process of knitting while using a loom.  A loom is a structure that allows you to quickly knit without much care.  It is easier than regular knitting but it is not very flexible with what you can make.  With my straight loom, I am pretty much shoehorned into scarfs or things that are straight.  But to me, loom knitting is a great first step into regular knitting, where your imagination is the only restriction!

One reason that I think people should try to knit is the it is a great way to make things!  Although I only loom scarves, the possibilities are endless. For now though, I stick to making scarves because I like to wear them and think they keep me very warm.  For just a couple bucks for a loom and yarn, you can spend hours knitting. To me, that is worth it, because to get a handmade-custom-thick scarf is going to cost quite a bit.

I also like to make things to possibly give as gifts.  Some people enjoy scarves, so when given the opportunity to have a hand-made one from someone you know, it is even better.

Probably my favorite reason to knit is that it is relaxing.  I can find myself doing it while in bed or in front of Netflix.  It takes the place of just being on my phone and zoning out. While I knit I keep my brain going and feel like I am helping my imagination.  

If you had asked me before I came to college if I would have wanted to try loom knitting, I would have definitely said no.  I am glad that I got the chance to try it and found my new hobby.

Bernard Kelleher

Louisiana Tech '19

Hello, My name is Bernard Kelleher. I prefer to go by Bern though. I am a senior in Nanosystems Engineering at LA Tech. I heard about Her Campus from a family member and I really liked the idea and want to be a part of it. I don't have much writing experience. I really have only written what was required of me in my school courses. I do like to read though, and look forward to possibly getting better at writing. In my free time there are several things I like to do. I spend most of my time with my fiance. Together, we play games and travel. We have a Siamese cat, Alice, who I like to play with. Thank you!
Kristen Bastin

Louisiana Tech '20

Technical Writing and Creative Writing student at Louisiana Tech.