This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

All my life, I’ve been a natural diva, wearing my curls to and fro, but this year that changed. January 26 was when a loctician got the chance to experiment with my 4c hair texture—causing more damage than good as she comb-coiled my freshly cut, thick bushy hair into, especially small sections. The process took over two hours, and after a month of having them in, the commitment seemed to overbear me as I missed my ability to wear my fro! This experience is incredibly important as to why you should get your hair loc’d.

Fun Fact: “Locs” being the enduring term, by the way, “dreads” used to imply “dreadfulness,” which most people (rastas) wouldn’t want to be described as nowadays.

black woman with braided hair smiling
Photo by Eye for Ebony from Unsplash
Anyways, after removing my locs, I instantly regretted the decision and wanted to restart the process. By May, around my birthday, I started a natural journey to grow my hair to chin length once again and strengthen my hair! 

Methods; Rice water treatment, Aloe Vera Gel, & Protein treatments

woman wearing a white dress and jewelry
Photo by nappy from Pexels
A weekly routine was then created, executed, and appreciated until August when I began two-strand twisting my coarse hair into protective styles. Initially, my loc experience started with failure, but I was nearly ready to commit myself again after six months of preparation. Now, as I type this article, my hair is twisted and waiting to lock into the intricate pattern that will crown my face naturally. It’s an experience I think many natural women should experience, just like cutting your hair extremely short- you know that scary feeling, oh my gosh, maybe I made a mistake, well once over that stage. I felt relieved!—no more worries about styling and retwisting my hair for natural curls. 

I can finally commit and grow internally, mentally, and physically as my hair grows each month. It’s almost a spiritual realization of how we overwhelm ourselves as women over the smallest things. Hair is meant to be expressive, yes. 

Stressful? No. 

woman meditating
Huha inc.
Presently I may look like a little tomboy, running through the forest, otherwise known as the opposite of society’s concept of what women should look like. Still, I think this is the final step of my lifetime commitment to remain entirely organic for my self, not giving in to the constant sales of wigs, extensions, or chemicals (perms). 

If you grasp anything from this article, I hope you consider locking up and letting out your true au naturel self form.

Bianca Houser

Louisiana Tech '23

Hi I'm Bianca H, some call me Terra. Focused in Liberal Arts and classifying as a sophomore with spunk! Usually, drawing and socializing. Catch me on campus next year but due to Pandemic we'll only communicate through the Web. Peace, love and curls!
I'm a Junior Creative Writing major and Editor in Cheif for the Her Campus chapter at Louisiana Tech University, who hopes to be a professional writer/editor one day! I love to joke around, but also talk about critical moments in my life and those that surround me to hopefully offer entertainment and guidance to my readers!