A Little Bit of What You’re Missing: Movies to Brighten Your Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

With a global pandemic mandating social isolation, for what seems like an endless stretch of time, many of us are stuck in our homes unable to travel and separated from friends and family. While I started the quarantine binging apocalyptic films, I have recently found myself needing a break from all that is COVID-19. Maybe you have too. Here are a few films to supplement your social fix and hopefully act as a bit of a pick-me-up. 

Red Roses Heart Cookie
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Romance 

Netflix has recently added a surprising amount of romantic comedies that are actually pretty entertaining. Whether you like your love stories filled with cringe-worthy moments, high-key manipulation, or neurotic leading ladies, these movie picks will not disappoint. Of course, you also get the added bonus of some super studly eye-candy. Here are a few of my personal favorites. 

1. He’s Just Not That Into You 

2. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days 3. The Ugly Truth 

4. Life as We Know It 

5. Friends With Benefits 

Anna Schultz-Girls In Gas Station With Junk Food
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Friends/Family 

Disclosure: Some of these movies may make you cry, but I promise it will be in a beautiful, uplifting way. If you need a friend or family fix, I highly recommend the following. The first will make you laugh, the second will make you cry, and the remainder may make you do both, depending on your sensitivity level. If your current emotional state mirrors mine, tissues are advised. 

1. The Wedding Ringer

2. Wonder

3. Jersey Girl 

4. Instant Family 

5. Big Daddy 

People Inside Commercial Air Plane
Sourav Mishra / Pexels

Travel 

While you may not currently be able to visit anywhere but your living room sofa, that does not mean you can’t have an adventure. This category has me feeling a little nostalgic, so I am going to go with the following. 

1. Stuart Little 

2. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

3. Thirteen Going on Thirty 

4. Nim’s Island 

5. Bridge to Terabithia 

That covers miniature escapades, fabric-fare, time-travel, island adventures, and the only travel you may be having: an imagination vacation. Please enjoy. 

Colorful ferris wheel
SnapShot on Pixabay

Fun 

Not particularly into themes and looking for a laugh? Here are a few unrelated films that are sure to make you chuckle. 

1. Hot Chick 

2. She’s the Man 

3. Couple’s Retreat 

4. The Other Woman 

5. Step Brothers Just a few tried and true favorites. 

I hope these make your mandated stay-cation a little more bearable!

Abigail Boothe

Louisiana Tech '20

My life revolves around sweet tea, Subway, and a pup named Scout!