This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

When I first became vegan, tofu scramble was the first meal I ever learned how to make. It has been my go-to ever since. You do not have to be vegan to enjoy this meal. It’s a nice alternative to scrambled eggs. Also, it’s relatively inexpensive! Here’s what you need. 

Omelett
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
1 firm block of tofu

1 ½  tbsp of olive oil (or any oil would do)

1 tsp of sea salt

1 tsp of black pepper

1 tbsp of garlic powder

1 tbsp of onion powder 

1 tbsp of Slap Ya Mama (or any other seasonings…it’s your life) 

½ tbsp of turmeric (be careful…this could stain cabinets and be a pain to get out of your clothes)

½ tbsp of black salt (or Kala Namek) (this gives the tofu an “eggy” test, but it is not necessary) 

Chef pouring salt into a bowl
Photo by Bank Phrom from Unsplash
Directions: 

1. Press the tofu.

• If you have a tofu press, great! If you don’t, relax. I have used my hands. Using both your hands, lightly press the water out of the tofu until the water appears to have drained out. 
  1. Break up the tofu with a fork in a bowl. 

2. Heat your skillet on the stove to medium-high heat. Add your olive oil to the skillet and make sure it coats the pan. Wait a couple of minutes for your oil to get hot. 

3. When your oil is hot, add your tofu scramble to the skillet and let cook for a couple of minutes. I normally let it cook for five before I add my seasonings and spices.  

4. Stir your tofu occasionally. 

5. Add all your spices and seasonings except for the turmeric and stir around. 

6. Add your turmeric and stir the tofu around, so that it is fully coated. 

7. Let sit for one to two minutes. 

8. Boom! You’re done! 

Tofu scramble does not have to be boring either. If you want to add veggies and peppers, you can. If you want to add black beans, do it! Tofu scramble is a versatile meal that anyone can enjoy, especially if you are on a budget.

Caitlin Mercier

Louisiana Tech '22

I am fourth year in the doctoral Counseling Psychology program at Louisiana Tech University. I love reading, writing, and cooking. Fun fact: I am a vegan!
I'm a Junior Creative Writing major and Editor in Cheif for the Her Campus chapter at Louisiana Tech University, who hopes to be a professional writer/editor one day! I love to joke around, but also talk about critical moments in my life and those that surround me to hopefully offer entertainment and guidance to my readers!