This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Social media is one of the most relevant internet obsessions of this time. From relationship statuses to outfits of the day, you can find so much about a person from Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook. But these profiles are often perfectly articulated to show off a beautifully painted picture of themselves. No flaws, no valleys, no problems, only the filtered photo of their best lives. 

Using social media can be an exciting, creative way to share your life with those around you, but it has its downfalls. It can cause mental health issues, make you forget to look at the world around you, and even slam doors to opportunities in your life. As I began to realize how social media was corrupting my own day to day activity, I decided a much-needed break was overdue. Though it was only twenty fours without Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and even Tik Toc, I saw how easy it is to get stuck in the social media black hole. 

At first, it was really difficult. I kept having to stop myself from opening the apps. Remembering my boycott, I would stop myself, but I was definitely tempted. It was weird not tapping my thumb from icon to icon to keep my fingers busy. Looking up almost felt uncomfortable. I no longer had the safeguard of my busy fingers to block out those around me. I had never felt this present in my own day to day activities. 

The more I avoided the apps on my phone, the easier it got. I began to forget that I was even taking a break. It felt good not being attached to these platforms. Without social media, I found I enjoyed my day much more. I felt more connected the longer I was disconnected from social media. 

Twenty four hours completely unplugged, I started to feel a form of freedom. I didn’t worry about whether I was as pretty as the other girls or I was doing “Instagram worthy” things. I was just genuinely enjoying my day. No filters, captions, or endless scrolls, just me, my friends, and the world around me. If you’ve ever found yourself attached to your phone at the hip, I highly suggest taking a step back even if it is only a little 24 hours like I did. 

Social media can be a really good thing. It can keep us connected with people we can’t see every day, bring people together from across the country, and help share our experiences from the ease of our phones. Our platforms online can be a really positive thing, but if you’re like me social media can begin to have negative effects as well. For me, even a day off made a big difference.

Using social media can be very beneficial, but make sure to keep your eye out for its downfalls. If you find your social media presence being harmful to your mental health or your day to day activities challenge yourself to take a breather, big or small. Either way, a social media break can make a huge difference and I highly suggest giving it a try. 

As a little girl, I spent hours writing stories. Obviously they weren't exactly bestsellers, but it was my passion nevertheless. I would fill up my notebooks with everything I didn't know how to say out loud, and anything I could imagine. Now, as a college student, I'm chasing my dream one word at a time. I'm currently studying English and Marketing, with the intention of becoming an editor.
Kristen Bastin

Louisiana Tech '20

Technical Writing and Creative Writing student at Louisiana Tech.