This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Some people have a green thumb and then some don’t. My mom is one of them. I’m scared she passed it on to me, but have no fear! There are things I have learned you can do to help preserve your plants. 

1. Put Plants in the Right Place

2. Know Your Lighting Needs

3. Don’t Overwater

4. Feed Your Plants

5. Groom Your Plants

6. Check for Pests

7. Check for Disease

Check out more info at How Not to Kill Your Houseplants.

Some plants are so cool, you can literally keep them in JUST water, all-year-round. I’m serious! Don’t believe me? Have a look for yourself at 12 Herbs With Just Water.

If you don’t want live plants but want some pretty plant vibes, you can preserve your plants with resin or other things and make all kinds of cute gifts and knickknacks to remember and enjoy (Techniques to Embed Flowers in Resin). This would have been great for me to read before I made a craft made out of flowers my boyfriend gave me because I didn’t do it right so the resin wasn’t completely surrounding the flowers and the oxygen ended up killing them and turning them brown instead of pretty and vibrant like I wanted it to be.

If all else fails, you can always go buy fake flowers at Hobby Lobby, Michael’s, or somewhere else! Plants are cool. They can be for decor, for gifts, or just because you have a fancy for them. If you don’t know much about plants or the in-depth part of plants, I suggest you take a look at The Magic School Bus: Gets Planted Episode. It’s a cute little cartoon show I used to watch in middle school that teaches about different subjects. Yes, I know you’re an adult, but I believe you’re never too old for cartoons! I hope you find a real nice plant for yourself or someone else. Feel free to message me on social media or send me an email with a picture of your new green friend if I inspired you.

Mandy Parker

Louisiana Tech '23

I'm a sophomore majoring in sociology. I just want to help people wherever I can. Tomorrow is never promised, so I live for the moments we have now.
As a little girl, I spent hours writing stories. Obviously they weren't exactly bestsellers, but it was my passion nevertheless. I would fill up my notebooks with everything I didn't know how to say out loud, and anything I could imagine. Now, as a college student, I'm chasing my dream one word at a time. I'm currently studying English and Marketing, with the intention of becoming an editor.