freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Express Bisexuality in a Heterosexual Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Many people assume that if someone is in a heterosexual relationship, they must be exclusively heterosexual. This leads to one of the most frustrating issues bisexuals face: finding ways to express their sexuality within a heterosexual relationship without being labeled “promiscuous” or “attention seeking.” Not everyone is comfortable hanging a pink, purple, and blue flag in their living room or wearing a t-shirt that says “Reminder: I’m still bi,” so here are some ways you let your bi-flag fly…without having to actually fly a flag.

Get into bisexual artists. Honestly, who does not like listening to some sick tunes now-and-then? Whether you are into the flamboyant pride of “Getting’ Bi” by Crazy Ex-Girlfriend or prefer the marginally subtler jams of Janelle Monáe’s “Make Me Feel” and “PYNK,” there are plenty of incredible artists for you to follow. (Pro Tip: If Monáe’s lyrics don’t do it for you, just watch the music videos.)

Acquire some snazzy bi merch. Bisexuals have the advantage of having the BEST color scheme of all the LGBTQIA+ pride flags plus a rad logo. As a result, it is easy to stick a pin on your backpack or just rep the bi colors without it looking too extra.

Incorporate the colors in your fashion. If you are feeling particularly inclined towards expressing your bisexual identity one day, you can bring the pink, purple, and blue combo to your outfit or makeup look. That way, you can be Insta-ready AND can proudly represent your sexuality.

Talk to your bae about it. Talking helps. The conversation can be a serious discussion, pillow talk, or an occasional playful joke. There is nothing wrong with having a strong appreciation for Blake Lively’s beauty, and it is something fun for you and your partner to relate about.

Seek out queer spaces and communities. Most college campuses have some form of a gay-straight alliance club, many of which (like PRISM at La Tech) are mostly geared towards social interaction and solidarity. These organizations are great places to get advice from your fellow bisexuals and to discuss your own experiences.

As awareness continues to spread regarding sexual orientations, more young adults, especially women, have begun to identify themselves as falling on the bisexual spectrum. According to a recent study by YouGov, 29% of 18 to 29-year-olds place themselves between a 1 and a 5 on the Kinsey scale (where 0 is exclusively heterosexual and 6 is exclusively homosexual). With these increasing numbers, it becomes even more important to represent and support the growing bisexual community, which has historically faced discrimination or “erasure” from both the heterosexual and homosexual communities.

Stormi Verret

Louisiana Tech

Stormi is Junior at Louisiana Tech University, studying English Literature and Spanish. With a penchant for all kinds of “Tea,” she both reads and writes avidly. She's a co-coordinator for her HC chapter, but she also writes for SPEAK magazine and operates as the secretary for Tech's Model United Nations. Her favorite genres are Brit-lit, American-lit, and everything outside or in-between.