Candy Canes
Candy Canes
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Have a Mint-y Chrismas! Sweet Treats to Make Your Holiday Better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

One of my favorite things about this time of year is all the holiday sweets and treats you can find or make! My family has a big tradition of cooking and getting together for Christmas, so I’ve been surrounded by food for most of my life. I like to bake and cook for my friends, and the holidays provide a perfect excuse to let out some of that beginning of the quarter stress and focus on making delicious snacks! Here’s a few of my favorite holiday recipes to try out this season.

Pinwheel Sugar Cookies

I absolutely love baking cookies! These ones are super cute and very festive for the holiday season. Sugar cookies can make a great present for friends or can just be a fun way to bake together for a date night. Keeping these around can also be a great studying snack (I use food to motivate myself for long periods of studying or schoolwork), so I highly recommend this recipe!

Pralines

These are a southern staple- I honestly can’t remember a holiday where my mom didn’t make these for the family. If you’re a fan of sugar and pecans, I definitely recommend trying to make these! Pralines are a great treat for friends and family who aren’t from the south. If you get these right, you’re sure to blow away whoever you give them to!

Oreo Truffles

Honestly, truffles are one of my favorite snacks. These are great for parties and just for having around for a quick sugary bite! Oreo truffles are relatively easy to make and require little to no expertise in baking. With a quick pop in the freezer, you can make these just about anywhere, making them perfect for college kids without access to a full kitchen. These are a guaranteed hit, so be sure to have a ton on hand if you make them!

Fancy Hot Chocolate Recipes

Changing up basic hot chocolate can spice up any cold day, especially if you have multiple different flavors on hand. Personally, I like to add in nutella and peppermint to my hot chocolate to spice things up, but this list offers a ton of different ideas to flavor hot cocoa! One great way to use these ideas is to have a hot chocolate bar at a Christmas party and have people make their own flavors. Get a ton of flavors and see which people like what- you never know who may like the same things as you!

These aren’t nearly all the Christmas foods and drinks you can find on the internet, but they are a few of my personal favorites. Have fun making some fun snacks, and have a happy holidays!

Kristen Bastin

Louisiana Tech '20

Technical Writing and Creative Writing student at Louisiana Tech.