This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Do you like to be festive? Do you like to help the environment? Do you want to save money this Halloween? You’re in luck! Let this be your guide to a more environmentally friendly Hallows eve. 

Costumes

Patch Work Doll

A great way to reuse old clothes or spare fabrics is to create an awesome Patch work doll costume. Patch work dolls are already creepy, so making one out of randomly sized and pattern fabrics will definitely amp up the spook factor. Also, don’t worry about your sewing ability for this costume. In fact, feel free to take any sort of creative design or approach by making your costume any of the following examples: a poncho, a dress, a shirt, a pair of pants, a romper, a cape, a coat, a scarf, and/or a head wrap. Just do whatever style/styles you have the skill, desire, and to do. All you need to create this costume is gather your fabrics, pick a style, sew the fabrics into that style, then (most importantly) own your look! The awesome thing about this costume is its ok if the fabrics aren’t quite aligned or sewn together in a neat way. The chaos is part of the costume!

Cardboard Costumes 

There are endless possibilities for cardboard to be used in crafts, and costume crafts are no exception. You can be everything from Robots, unboxed Barbies, Legos, and even Minecraft characters. Cardboard costumes are easy to make and completely customizable! Perfect for the craft queens of the world, and perfect for recycling those old Amazon or moving boxes. With these costumes, feel free to recreate a cool costume that you found online or use your imagination to make something entirely new. 

Decorations

Interactable Decorations 

Interactable decorations are perfect for all social media gurus at your next Halloween party. These decorations are for creating a DIY, at-home photo booth and/or livening up the spook-tacular atmosphere. Perhaps the most notable of décor include the standing, walk-in coffin/sarcophagus decorations that can be made from spare cardboard, left over foam board, and/or scrap wood depending on your resources and skills. In addition, consider making some Halloween themed photo booth props to go along with your stand in. Use some scrap paper and left-over wood dowels, wooden skewers, or plastic straws to add to your phantom photo session. 

Subtle Décor 

Need some small Halloween themed projects? Maybe you would prefer something a little less dynamic or perhaps need some accents to the décor you already have. Some of our more subtle décor options include around the house decorations (the bat), candy dispensers (the poison bottle), and Halloween lighting (the light up ghost). These can be made from cardboard rolls (from toilet paper or paper towel rolls) or recycled plastic bottles. Like with most projects in this guide, feel free to take creative liberties with the aesthetic aspects of these decorations. Unfortunately, the internet didn’t have as many subtle, recyclable Halloween decoration ideas as I once believed, so I decided to create a few of my own. These decorations are perfect for adding a bit more spook to your home this Halloween. 

Spooky season may be expensive, but it doesn’t have to be! Have fun with what you’ve got and make an adorable Halloween setup for October!

Kelsey Blaylock

Louisiana Tech '21

Hi! I'm Kels (They/Them). It's nice to meet you!
Alicia Centers

Louisiana Tech '20

I am a junior Cyber Engineering major who just enjoys hanging out with awesome gals outside of school!