hawaii girl happy explore jacket beach adventure
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

The Great Rubber Duck Adventure: How They Inspire My Love for Oceans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

In 1992, a cargo ship was on its journey to deliver a shipment from China to the United States. Along the way, the ship encountered a strong ocean storm and lost some of the shipping containers it was transporting to the water below. One of the lost cargo ships was carrying a shipment of bath toys and ended up badly damaged. This resulted in the release of thousands of rubber ducks into the Pacific Ocean. Thus began the great rubber duck adventure.

Some of these ducks adventured the Pacific Ocean for months before floating to the shores of Alaska, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and various other coasts. However, many other ducks now continue to explore the ocean for years after. A few ducks even floated for fifteen years before eventually washing ashore on the coast of Scotland.

Can you imagine the adventure that these ducks went on? These ducks must have seen amazing things. Imagine the stories that they could tell. This story reminds me of all the wonderful things about our oceans. They are vast and empty, yet filled with such diverse life at the same time. Their currents can shape coastlines and make great adventures like this one possible. We learn more and more new things about them all the time.

I love our Earth’s oceans.

Do you?

Kelsey Blaylock

Louisiana Tech '21

Hi! I'm Kels (They/Them). It's nice to meet you!