Life > Experiences

Girl’s Night In: 5 Social Distancing Activities to Help You Stay Social

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Social distancing doesn’t have to ruin your social life. Luckily, you don’t have to choose between showing your friends you care about their safety and spending time with them! With today’s technology, there are many opportunities to be together, while staying apart. Continue reading for 5 Girl’s Night In activities to try with your friends from each of your own homes.

man and woman playing a game
Photo by Bao Truong from Unsplash

1. Virtual Game Night: You may not be able to sit across a table from each other, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get competitive! Many board games such as chess, or checkers, that simply involve moving pieces around can be dictated. You’ll need to all join a video call, and have one friend point their camera to the board. The other player or players tell the friend with the game where they want to be moved. You can also find games to play online, so everyone has control over their own character.

macbook pro displaying zoom
    Photo by Chris Montgomery from Unsplash

2. Sip and Chat: Don’t throw out the idea of sitting around together sipping an age-appropriate beverage, and chatting about your lives. By together I mean over a video call of course. Set your cameras up so you can all see each other and let the conversation flow!
    woman on bed with keyboard
    Photo by Soundtrap from Unsplash
  3. Sing Karaoke: Karaoke is always more fun with friends. Have one friend pull up sing-along videos on youtube and share their screen in a video call. You can all sing along together, and take turns choosing the songs. 

netflix selection page
    Photo by Charles Deluvio on Unsplash

4. Stream a Movie or Show Together: Add an extension to your browser and chat while you all watch a movie or show together through a streaming service such as Netflix. You can also all join a video chat and have one friend share their screen to stream the show or movie. Alternatively, host a book-club-style video call to discuss the most recent episode of your group’s favorite show after you’ve all watched it. 

woman in black and white clothes
    Photo by Terricks Noah from Unsplash

5. Give each other makeovers: Last but not least, give each other makeovers… with a twist. The friend receiving the makeover can’t look at themselves. Have the friend receiving the makeover position the camera on themselves and then hide their view of their camera. The remaining friends who can see them give directions and make sure they look gorgeous! You don’t wear makeup? Take your video call to your closet and point your camera in for your friends to choose your outfit. No looking in the mirror until they’re done! 

Be prepared to be closer than ever! These activities will build up your friendship, even while you’re apart.

Taylor Linke

Louisiana Tech '21

Taylor Linke is a Senior Forestry student at LA Tech with a concentration in Forest Management, and a contributing writer under the La Tech HC Chapter. She enjoys getting outdoors, being active, and painting.