This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Last year, I bought myself my first Xbox. I’ve never been much of a gamer, but I’ve fallen in love with it. Making friends over gaming always seemed weird to me as a kid because I never did it. Now that I have, I wouldn’t change it for the world. One of my closest friends is someone I met through gaming. Granted, it’s not just playing the games. I had to make connections with people on Twitter and the streaming platform Twitch, too. You would be surprised how many great connections I’ve made with people all across the world through Twitter about gaming. I can rant, joke, and be real about my life and my videogames. I asked a few of my friends on Twitter to give me their feedback and stories on making friends through gaming. Here’s what they had to say!

girl gamer with neon lights
Photo by Alexander Jawfox from Unsplash
“I’ve had a lot of experiences lately with gaming and making friends! Streaming included has helped!

Through gaming and streaming, I found a team of people who play together and organize different events like a Mario Party stream where we all get on Discord to play Mario Party (also other games), and they stream it to a designated Twitch that’s set up for the entire team. This helps introduce our different communities as well as welcome new people.”

He goes on to say, “Because of gaming and streaming, I’ve made new friends to not only play with together as a team but also just play randomly together offline, and it’s been a ton of fun meeting new people through gaming!”

-FSHLittleEvil

“I’ve met a lot of great people through gaming. As a streamer, networking was essential in not only building a community but to establish relationships with other streamers. Connecting with streamers was always organic. Like-minded people who shared similar goals/interest was a recipe for friendship. The gaming community is truly unique and I am so happy I became a streamer because of people I’ve met along the way.”

-DManLoco17

“I have a crazy wide circle of friends all around the world (Norway, Sweden, Arizona, California, Hawaii, New Zealand, Utah, Argentina) due to gaming. I am not only friends with them, but we’ve built a community from the ground up where we come together to hang out, game, talk during streams, or watch movies together on Discord!

I can fall back on these friends to keep me company, make me feel better on my rough days, and to be there during huge stages of my life (graduating, new jobs, moving, relationships) and vise versa.”

– Teff3n

You can find these amazing people on Twitch, Twitter, and they might just become some of your lifelong friends! No matter how long I go without watching them stream or talking to them regularly, I know that they’re still there for me and that I’m there for them, too. I’ve sadly gotten out of it because of life and college, but I still get the chance to talk to these friends now and then on social media. If you’re out there reading this, know that I’ll always treasure meeting you through gaming and am blessed to have met the kind and caring people I have. 

The Lala

If you haven’t ever tried gaming or making friends through online gaming, I highly recommend trying it out! You can watch or play along with people through apps such as Twitch. There’s so much of a variety of games, sometimes you find one that feels like it was made just for you. Of the options, I recommend Among Us, Call of Duty Modern Warfare, and even games such as Design Homes. It doesn’t have to be big or fancy or even super popular. As long as you find something to relax with and be a kid again in this world of craziness. I want to acknowledge a few of the friends I made along the way that have made me laugh and enjoy myself, and if I leave you out please know that I didn’t mean anything by it!

FSHLittleEvil    Twitch_Misery    Sparkyravezero    Teff3n    Mikefromtyo    Online_budz    DManLoco17    Sk3ft    DanJayMmkay

Mandy Parker

Louisiana Tech '23

I'm a sophomore majoring in sociology. I just want to help people wherever I can. Tomorrow is never promised, so I live for the moments we have now.