This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

If you are like me and love makeup, you know that foundations can be a tricky game to play in a makeup store.  You get to a store, try them on, and think they look great but as soon as you put it all over your face, you turn ORANGE!  I have been through about 20 different foundations trying to find the one best for me, which can be frustrating and financially draining.  I have neutral undertones in my skin and happen to be very oily. Matching your skin color should come first, then you should find the specific formula type you like from there.  Here are some of the foundations I have tried and my honest opinions about them. 

Fenty Beauty Original Formula ($35): Although I adore Rhianna and Fenty Beauty,  this foundation for me was a complete miss. I loved the formula for my oily skin but the color would always turn two to five shades darker on me as I wore it.  At the end of the day I felt like a clown. This foundation is great for really oily skin but not so great for any other type. It tends to dry your face out if you already have dry patches.  Because I am more of a light-medium skin tone, this one did not work for me even though I wanted to adore it. If you have a darker skin tone and oily skin I think you should give it a try!

Stay Naked by Urban Decay ($39): I adore this foundation! It comes in many shades and is so light on the skin.  Mixed with a good primer, I think this foundation is unstoppable. It has a matte finish and just looks amazing when applied with a brush.  The only negative I have to say is that I feel like I need to re-set the foundation about half way through the day because my oil comes through!

Hello Happy Liquid Foundation by Benefit ($30): Benefit brows, yes please! This foundation, no thank you! First thing, there are only 12 shades.  I don’t know about you but my body has more than 12 shades on it! Second thing, oxidation! It turns orange, like Charlie and The Chocolate Factory Oompa Loompa Orange. This, for me, was not a good look.  If you are an Oompa Loompa for Halloween, this is your foundation!

Born This Way Liquid by Two Faced ($39): This foundation is one of my favorites for the winter! While this is a ticker formula, it is absolutely beautiful on and comes in many shades as well. This foundation would look awesome if you applied it with your fingers (maybe, let me know how that goes!).  You could use a brush or beauty blender and I think this foundation would look stunning.  

Natural Radiant Longwear Foundation by Nars ($49): If you are oily and you see the word radiant on a foundation bottle, put it down and run! I wish I knew this when trying this one out.  I saw someone else wear it and she looked so awesome in it so I thought I would try it. Bad idea for me. It made my skin more oily and I looked like my face was constantly wet with how shiny it was.  If you don’t have oily skin, I am sure this will look great on you but if you do, follow my original advice and run!

Say What?! Foundation by Uoma ($39): This one is my latest obsession.  I love the way that the foundation looks. It has a matte finish that complements my skin well.  The undertones are so specific when wearing this foundation that it is impossible not to find your match.  I do have to set it in the middle of the day if I did not set it good in the morning but that’s it. This foundation does oxidize a little so walk around the store for 20 minutes after you match yourself and re-check it to make sure it is the right shade.  

Overall, go try out some foundations for yourself.  Some stores will allow you to have a sample of the foundation to take home and try out for a couple of days.  This by far is the best option. If you feel like you have given up hope on finding your perfect foundation, DON’T! There is one out there that is gonna knock your socks off!

Alicia Centers

Louisiana Tech '20

I am a junior Cyber Engineering major who just enjoys hanging out with awesome gals outside of school!
Kristen Bastin

Louisiana Tech '20

Technical Writing and Creative Writing student at Louisiana Tech.