Five Outdoor Activities That Have Kept Me Sane During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

If you know anything about me, you know that I love the outdoors. There is nothing like standing outside with the sun in my face and a little pep in my step from all of the natural goodness. Since we’re all stuck at home, activities are limited and options are scarce, but, personally, being outside making the situation ten times better. Here are five of my top favorite things to do outside during quarantine. 

1. Going on Walks

No matter where you live, you can go for a walk. Whether it’s around the neighborhood or just down the street, the fresh air feels so good. It’s so nice to get out of the house and take a few deep breaths. You can walk five minutes or fifty, it’s up to you, but either way, it’ll be so nice to get out and stretch those legs!

2. Flowering Picking

I’m a little biased on this one because I’m in love with flowers, but it’s such a fun and simple activity anyone can do. Now you may have to do a little looking so you know where to find a little patch of flowers, but now is a perfect time because wildflowers are blooming everywhere. I’ve picked flowers in my neighborhood, off the side of the road, or in a field, and it’s such an easy activity to do, plus you can have a little bouquet of wildflowers to show for it. Get out there and smell the flowers! 

3. Bike Rides

I don’t know about you, but I could ride my bike for hours and hours and hours. While it’s kind of a workout, it’s such a fun activity and the air flying by helps keep you cool. Personally, I love to go ride my bike because I’ll listen to a podcast or music while I ride. Time flies when you’re invested in listening to a podcast with fresh air all around you. 

4. Picnics

While specific parks remain closed, I want to remind you that you can have a picnic anywhere. I’ve had more picnics than I can count. Usually, I make some lunch put down a blanket, eat, and then just have a few moments to relax and rejuvenate. A little picnic lunch break is the perfect break from a busy or stressful day! 

5. Lake Days

This option isn’t for everyone due to location and closures, but in my area, we’re still allowed to go out on the lake and swim, tan, and soak up nature. If the lake isn’t feasible for you, you can go to a pond, river, or some small body of water to hang out, swim, and get that taste of nature you’re looking for. Get some Vitamin D and thrive!

No matter what you’re doing, going outside is essential to making it through this difficult time. It’s so important to take a few moments to relax and get the fresh air your body needs. Trust me, going outside will make quarantine manageable and help you keep your head on straight.

As a little girl, I spent hours writing stories. Obviously they weren't exactly bestsellers, but it was my passion nevertheless. I would fill up my notebooks with everything I didn't know how to say out loud, and anything I could imagine. Now, as a college student, I'm chasing my dream one word at a time. I'm currently studying English and Marketing, with the intention of becoming an editor.
Kristen Bastin

Louisiana Tech '20

Technical Writing and Creative Writing student at Louisiana Tech.