This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

When you’re having a bad day your first thought is rarely about essential oils, but more often than not the right oil can clear your mind better than you’d think. After a crappy day you just want to lay in your bed, have a good cry, and just check out completely. If your room has a funny under smell, your head feels as heavy as lead, or that hot shower you just took five minutes ago did nothing for your resolve this could be your solution. 

There are a few ways to use essential oils. For example, you could apply the oil to your pressure points, add it to the bath, or inhale the oil from the source. (Click here for more) The key to having a good experience is to pick the essential oil that best suits the mood you’re going for. You don’t want an oil with an overpowering scent because it can cause your head will hurt. The type of diffuser you have will also play a part in how strong a scent you should be looking for.

I use a ceramic oil burner when using lightly scented oil and I use a water-based diffuser when using heavy scented oil. Use the oils based on how you feel at that moment and how you want to feel after it’s over. For every beginner, I suggest these four common essential oils that I find work the best with a ceramic oil diffuser.

1. Eucalyptus oil

Eucalyptus oil helps with congestion, asthma, relaxation, and a few medical conditions. The scent of eucalyptus is extremely strong but not strong enough to bring on a headache. I usually use this oil during the colder nights or when I’m sick in order to promote easier breathing and tension release. 

2. Vanilla or Lavender oil

Lavender oil is known for bringing on a good night’s sleep, but vanilla is just as good with a sweeter aroma. Vanilla can be used as an antioxidant as well as a sedative to the mind. If the smell is too potent, I suggest adding a bit of water to dilute it.

3. Tea Tree oil

Tea tree oil has a very strong aroma, so I suggest diluting it before lighting your diffuser. This oil promotes energy by diminishing the feeling of stress and anxiety while also boosting your immune system to help fight viruses. 

4. Fresh Berries oil

Fresh berries essential oils aren’t really for the body but for your enjoyment. I like to throw in a tropical scent every now and then just to remind myself what happiness smells like. 

If you try your hand at essential oils and find you don’t like it, then you can chalk it up to the other million things that didn’t work out. If you’re like me and love it, happy smellings!!

Phaedra Starks

Louisiana Tech '21

My voice may be small but my attitude is bigger and my hair is thicker. Louisiana Tech Forestry Wildlife major
Kristen Bastin

Louisiana Tech '20

Technical Writing and Creative Writing student at Louisiana Tech.