Kayla Bacon-Paddle Board Summer
Kayla Bacon-Paddle Board Summer
Kayla Bacon / Her Campus

End of Quarter Vacation Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

In Louisiana, it’s hard to find a good scenic mountain trail with a nice picturesque network of cascades and waterfalls. What some of us don’t know is that the Ouachita Mountains are less than three hours away in Arkansas, the Natural State. If you’re an adventurous outdoorsy type who likes to camp, kayak, and escape into the wilderness, the Little Missouri River is what you’re looking for. However, if rustic cabins, paddle boats, and lakeside docks are more your thing, Lake Catherine State Park has all of the above.  

The Little Missouri encompasses vast stretches of wilderness from where it begins in Mena, flowing through the Ouachita Mountains and the Ouachita National Forest. The river forms Lake Greason where Narrows Dam impounds its waters, and the river continues beside Crater of Diamonds State Park just a few miles south of Murfressboro. Beginning at the Albert Pike Recreation area is an 8.5 mile float to Ark. 84. This section of the river is known to attract anglers seeking smallmouth bass and rainbow trout, and these trout are stocked during cold water months at the low water bridge just  a few hundred yards south of the Albert Pike area. The next float section runs 11 miles from Ark. 84 to Lake Greason. Both of these floats attract canoers and kayakers from around the country as they contain several class III rapids along with one class IV rapid in the Winding Stairs segment. North of the Albert Pike area, the river also contains a series of steep cascades known as the Little Missouri Falls. Tourists and hikers love to frequent this area, and people are allowed to swim in the crystal clear waters of the pool beneath the falls.

Many hiking trails are around that will take you through miles of rugged mountainous wilderness. The campgrounds at Albert Pike have been closed due to flooding back in 2010, but many campsites are spread throughout Ouachita Mountains as well. If you plan on driving to the Little Missouri when the quarter is over, I would recommend you drive through Prescott and Daisy, Arkansas. You could approach it from Arkadelphia, but the roads are rough when you get past Glenwood. Lodging is available in Daisy for reasonable prices, and you can get great local information about the area from the Langley Store, which is merely a few miles south of the Albert Pike Recreation area–the place where all the fun happens.

In gathering information about Lake Catherine State Park, I was able to interview Caitlin, a 21 year old student here at Louisiana Tech who is an aviation major. She has already piloted aircraft several times with Louisiana Tech’s aviation program, and she says that she likes to adventure and explore. Catherine is one of what’s called the “diamond lakes” in southwest Arkansas, and this lake lies ten miles between Malvern and Hot Springs, which means it’s close to two cities with decent shopping opportunities.

While this area consists of natural mountainous scenery, long rugged hiking trails, and fresh clear water, it is not too far from civilization and the quaint downtown shopping experience of the city. In fact, many people visit Catherine and rent the available lakeside cabins that surround the area only to spend their days shopping in Hot Springs. However, these cabins are in high demand and must be reserved in advance. Many recreational activities are also available throughout the park, including hiking, fishing, camping, swimming, kayaking, horseback riding, and bird watching, Pontoons and paddle boats are available for rent as people like to explore Catherine’s deep and scenic waters. “One thing about Catherine, you don’t have to worry about getting stuck on cypress knees,” Caitlin said in reference to her experience with kayaking on the lake. Indeed, the clear water lakes in Arkansas are different than anything you will encounter in Louisiana. 

One major tourist attraction in Lake Catherine State Park is the Falls Branch Trail. This trail is a semi-loop that is about 1.6 miles long. It runs around Falls Creek for a while past a few wooden bridge crossings over narrow streams before making a left turn up Horseshoe Mountain. The highlight of this trail is the ten-foot waterfall that feeds into Lake Catherine, and people sometimes swim in the pool beneath these falls as well. 

Overall, Lake Catherine would be a great rustic experience for students seeking a safe and accessible vacation within reasonable driving distance of Louisiana Tech’s campus. The Little Missouri River is further out in the wilderness with fewer resorts and fewer signs of civilization, but it is the adventure of a lifetime, being one of the closest places where you can camp, float, hike, and encounter both trout and smallmouth bass–sights you will not see in the warm murky waters of Louisiana. Check your calendars, and get ready to travel north when the quarter is over. An adventure awaits!

James Tucker

Louisiana Tech '20

James Tucker is an English graduate student at Louisiana Tech University. Due to his background in rural Arkansas, he enjoys writing about the environment and various outdoor recreational activities. During his time at Tech, he has served as a student ambassador of Liberal Arts, and he has also served as both historian and secretary of Sigma Tau Delta, the international English honor society. James tutors at the Louisiana Tech Writing Center. His favorite areas of research are pre-1660 British lit and British lit from 1790-1920.
Kristen Bastin

Louisiana Tech '20

Technical Writing and Creative Writing student at Louisiana Tech.