This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Valentine’s Day is one day out of the year where romantic love is celebrated. All of the giggles kisses on the cheek, and endless bouquets of food or flowers are truly delightful. Couples cover every corner. We’re happy for you, really! It’s inspiring to see love at work, but the definition of Valentine’s Day isn’t the same for everyone.

For some people, February 14th is an impending cloud of struggle, sadness, and even loneliness. There are so many people out there with no one to spend the “day of love” with. People sitting at home wishing there was someone in their life that would send a stupid bouquet or simply sit on the couch to watch a movie.

It’s not always easy. There are millions of people who hate Valentine’s Day. They don’t want a day of constant reminders that they’re single, feeling alone, or don’t feel loved. Valentine’s Day can bring up extremely hard thoughts to fight. Feelings and emotions are at a peak, and not always in a good way.

You have to be aware of everyone around you. Keep in mind those without a special someone. Be aware of friends, family, or acquaintances that feel like Valentine’s Day is their least favorite day out of the year. It’s not easy to feel separated from love when it seems like the rest of the world is bathing in it. 

If you’re someone that finds yourself alone on the fourteenth, don’t forget to tell yourself that just because you’re not coupled up doesn’t make you any less of a person. You’re strong and independent and you don’t have to have a special someone to be complete. It’s important to remember these things when it can feel like the world is telling you the opposite.

Being alone is one 100% okay, but for the couples out there don’t forget to reiterate that you’re there if you need them in the case they need that reassurance. Check-in to what’s going on around you and spread love in the best way possible. It’s so easy to get caught up in your relationships, plans, and the day without realizing the effect it could have on someone else.

We want you to celebrate, be happy, and spend time with the people you love most this Valentine’s Day. Celebrate with your significant other, but simply be aware. Smile at the people you pass, show you care and be compassionate to everyone you see. Most importantly love with your entire heart this Valentine’s Day.

If you need someone to talk to call 1-800-662-HELP (4357) or contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.

As a little girl, I spent hours writing stories. Obviously they weren't exactly bestsellers, but it was my passion nevertheless. I would fill up my notebooks with everything I didn't know how to say out loud, and anything I could imagine. Now, as a college student, I'm chasing my dream one word at a time. I'm currently studying English and Marketing, with the intention of becoming an editor.
Kristen Bastin

Louisiana Tech '20

Technical Writing and Creative Writing student at Louisiana Tech.