This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

I recently attended a “seminar” of sorts by a woman named Rachel Norris. What an amazing lesson I learned. I’ve heard some of it before, but I was never told the way she did it. Rachel showed the group of us how to make a pitcher out of clay. We didn’t do it ourselves, only observed. I’m glad we were sitting still, so we could listen and pay attention with all of our beings.

Rachel not only told us about her life, mistakes, and tragedies, but she told us of the joy she found when all hope seemed lost. It’s so easy to get caught up in life and to think we have to have it all figured out and put together, but that’s not the case. I believe when you’re at rock bottom is when you can finally listen to what God has to say without any distractions.

The pictures from this lesson can be found at: https://www.facebook.com/622995904469594/posts/3317623558340135/?d=n

pottery wheel hand making
Photo by SwapnIl Dwivedi from Unsplash
I was kind of like Rachel. I grew up in a Christian home, believed in God my whole life, but in my senior year of high school, I wanted to go my own way, figuring things out for myself. Thank the good Lord above it wasn’t long before I realized that was not a very bright or loving road I was going down. I needed him. “The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: ‘Arise, and go down to the potter’s house, and there I will let you hear my words.’ So I went down to the potter’s house, and there he was working at his wheel. And the vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in the potter’s hand, and he reworked it into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to do.” -Jeremiah 18:1-4. For us to become new, to be a better version of ourselves, we have to allow God to mold us the way he sees fit. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than yours and my thoughts higher than your thoughts,’ declares the Lord” -Isaiah 55:9.

I could tell you all about the plans I had for myself a long time ago, but none of those worked out the way I wanted them to. God is a loving God. He doesn’t destroy, hate, or betray anyone. He would never leave you or stop loving you and forgiving you. We’ve all made mistakes we aren’t proud of, but it’s such an amazing phenomenon when you give everything you have to the one who formed you in your mother’s womb. He takes away all anxiety, fear, depression, guilt, shame, grief, envy, lust, etc. If you don’t have a relationship with Him, you’re always only one step away no matter how far gone you think you are. The Bible is full of stories, many of those that are unkind and unnerving to think about. But others are of the truth, abundant life, and everlasting love from our Creator. The Bible tells us we’re sinners. That means that we’ve done wrong in God’s eyes. The thing is, Jesus (God’s only son, born miraculously from a virgin) was sent to live his life free of sin on this sinful earth for a few short years to then die on the cross to bear the entire world’s burdens and sins. 

bible notes with coffee
Photo by Kelly Sikkema from Unsplash
Because of our sins, we’re tattered. Soiled. But, if we stop trying to be the potter ourselves, stop trying to be something we aren’t, God will finally be able to mold us into what He has planned for us. We have our own free will. He’s not going to make you submit to Him and live your life for Him, but I promise you it’s one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. It doesn’t mean life will be easy or perfect with God at the center of your life, but it does ensure that He will always be right by your side in the midst of every storm that comes your way as well as by your side in the sunshiny days.

Also, an amazing song that I heard in church one day that coincides with this subject is Canvas and Clay by Pat Barrett. I highly recommend it!

Rachel Norris’s website: http://www.joypotterytx.com/ 

I was not compensated or asked to write this article. I just felt the Spirit lead me to. For anyone out there who might come across this, I hope you find your way.

Mandy Parker

Louisiana Tech '23

I'm a sophomore majoring in sociology. I just want to help people wherever I can. Tomorrow is never promised, so I live for the moments we have now.
I'm a Junior Creative Writing major and Editor in Cheif for the Her Campus chapter at Louisiana Tech University, who hopes to be a professional writer/editor one day! I love to joke around, but also talk about critical moments in my life and those that surround me to hopefully offer entertainment and guidance to my readers!