Girl In Snow With Jean Jacket
Girl In Snow With Jean Jacket
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

Baby, It’s Cold Outside: 5 Ways You Should Be Taking Advantage of the Cool Weather in Ruston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

I don’t know about you, but the landscape is one of the biggest reasons I love getting to call Northern Louisiana home while I’m in college. The diverse trees and flowers, the sun setting behind the hills, and the historic buildings of downtown Ruston are just a few of the views I don’t want to take for granted. We all know it is a little harder to take in some of those landscapes when the mosquitos are biting. The air is unbearably humid, and the sun is beating on down on us. It’s time to rejoice because fall weather is here, at last! Keep reading for my 5 favorite ways to get outside and enjoy the fresh (relatively less humid) breeze! 

1. Study Outside 

Every once in a while, we could all use a little change in scenery. When I find myself reading the same line over and over, getting distracted by my phone, pets, or roommate, I like to take my studying and homework outside. If you need wifi, venture no further than a picnic table on campus, or patio seating at one of our local coffee shops. If you can afford to be a little more remote, try setting up a hammock in Hideaway Park (Click to navigate to Garland Gregory Hideaway Park) or laying out a blanket in the grass to read, study, paint, or drill with those flashcards! 

2. Take the First Step Towards Joining the Highpointers Club 

If you’re up for a bit of a hike (and a drive), this Fall might be the perfect time to achieve the feat of standing atop the highest point in Louisiana! Mt. Driskill peaks at 535 feet above sea level, making its crest the highest natural point in our state, and it is only half an hour away from Ruston. Mt. Driskill is recognized by the Highpointers club (More about the Highpointers) as one of the 50 highest peaks (one for each U.S. State). The organization’s members strive to summit numerous times during their lifetimes. The hike is approximately 1.8 miles out and back and has two possible routes depending on the slope and intensity you choose. For more information about how to find the trail visit: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/louisiana/driskill-mountain-trail

3. Take a Stroll 

Maybe you want to smell the air and see the changing leaves, but a venture into the woods isn’t in the cards for you, today. Why not walk or bike through downtown Ruston? Grab a bite at the restaurants or treat your sweet tooth at a bakery. There is a myriad of interesting shops and local street art to peruse, and we even have our own Farmer’s Market (Click here for more information on the Ruston Farmer’s Market). Even if you think you’ve walked each and every city block, Ruston is constantly growing, and you never know what you might find! 

4. Support Your Dawgs 

That Fall wind brings in a nice cool breeze, but that’s not all it carries. That’s right! I’m talking about the irresistible aroma of free hotdogs, wafting from our very own Bulldog Village. Without the threat of the sun beating down upon the student section for 3 hours, there’s not much of an excuse not to let yourself live it up at the rest of the season’s Football games. Grab a friend, take some selfies with Tech XXII, and cheer our team to victory! 

5. Eat Out(side) 

And last but not least, a combination of my two favorite past times: eating food and looking at trees! In my opinion, everything tastes better outside. Whether you’re picking up some fries on your way home from a long day of classes, kicking off the weekend barbequing with the gals, or making your sweetheart swoon over fancy triangle sandwiches for your Sunday afternoon picnic, you can’t beat outdoor cuisine.  

Not sure where to start? Pick something from this list or something else you like to do, and take it outside. The best adventures start out in unexpected ways. Get out there, and I promise you’ll get the hang of it!

Taylor Linke

Louisiana Tech '21

Taylor Linke is a Senior Forestry student at LA Tech with a concentration in Forest Management, and a contributing writer under the La Tech HC Chapter. She enjoys getting outdoors, being active, and painting.
Kristen Bastin

Louisiana Tech '20

Technical Writing and Creative Writing student at Louisiana Tech.