As I come upon my senior year of college, I am starting to focus on developing my resume and getting real-world experience for life after college. One way I am doing this is by applying for internships for the summer, specifically in social media marketing.

Within this last week, I was able to speak with our director of student services and placement, and she gave me some insightful tips for networking, searching for internships, and developing a career you truly love. 

[bf_image id="nhqmcrht57sw7j3bc4k7jvg5"]

The first thing she helped me with is how to go about searching for internships. If you’ve ever looked for job opportunities or internships, you know that this task is extremely daunting. It can be rather difficult to find something that is right for you.

One thing that really stuck with me, is her telling me that nearly 90% of all opportunities are not posted online. She said oftentimes getting an internship is about who you know and have relationships with. To start off my internship search, I’m spending a lot of time networking on LinkedIn, reaching out to people in my field, and asking if I can talk to them about their careers. 

[bf_image id="p9xr2fhc8h9tmxbvbbx87qz"] Another thing that stuck out to me, was her explaining that you shouldn’t be afraid to be different. You need to show the employer you care about the opportunity and would love to hear from them, but you can be creative with how you do that. Depending on your field, it will make a difference in how you choose to let your creative juices fly, but remember you should do your best to stand out.

Lastly, she reminded me to reach out to both big and small companies. It’s good to have a variety when it comes to experience. This way you know whether or not a work environment is right for you. You can also reach out to connections who may not be in your area. With COVID-19 a lot of work is being done remotely, which is a great opportunity for students looking to find an internship. 

[bf_image id="9fc5q8jb5b48grbjs9khv28"] When looking for internships, it can be easy to get discouraged but you have to remember to keep on pushing. It only takes one yes, to start growing your resume and building the career you’re dreaming of. 

Alexis McClain

Louisiana Tech '23

As a little girl, I spent hours writing stories. Obviously they weren't exactly bestsellers, but it was my passion nevertheless. I would fill up my notebooks with everything I didn't know how to say out loud, and anything I could imagine. Now, as a college student, I'm chasing my dream one word at a time. I'm currently studying English and Marketing, with the intention of becoming an editor.