Affordable Ways to Get into the Holiday Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

This season has become so commercialized that college students are often left feeling like they can’t afford to experience the holiday spirit that many others have. Though it takes some creative thinking, inspiring the Yuletide spirit can be extremely affordable!

Look at Festive Lights

You don’t have to have $20 for admission to an official Christmas light park. With a few extra bucks for gas money, you can drive around local neighborhoods and enjoy their decorations. Grab a few friends, and you’ll probably have more fun making your own sightseeing path than you would have following the trail at a Christmas light park anyway.

Put Up A Tree

The perfect way to spruce (pun intended) up your dorm or apartment is with a Christmas tree! If you don’t have a lot of room, why not get a small one? Amazon is selling this little guy for under $20! Decorate it with candy canes and string lights, and you’re in the spirit!

Bake Cookies  

If you’d rather make your own cookies, you can buy regular sugar cookie or chocolate chip cookie dough and decorate it with festive sprinkles. Or, for a quick dessert, you can buy the pre-decorated cookies with Christmas trees stamped on them!

Make Hot Chocolate

Whether you’re a Nestle, Swiss Miss, or Great Value fan, you should be able to find your favorite hot chocolate mix at a reasonable price. If you want to enhance the flavor of your hot chocolate, pick up a small container of milk or creamer while you’re out shopping! Who needs a fireplace to feel cozy when there are hot chocolate and fuzzy blankets?

*If you’re feeling fancy, here is a simple, affordable, and delicious recipe that I used recently to make my own!

Watch a Holiday Movie

Even if you’re really pinching pennies, there is still something for you! Elf and A Christmas Story are available for free on dogflix, as long as you’re on campus! Plus, if you pay for a subscription service like Netflix, you have loads of additional options!

Alyssa Vingiello

Louisiana Tech '20

I’m a graduate student studying British literature. When I’m not reading for class or working in the writing center, you’ll likely find me listening to Panic! at the Disco, watching The Office, or shopping online.