4 Inspiring Books for Any Collegiette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

There are times when we get busy that we lose focus, motivation, and creativity. These motivational self-help books can help anyone in any rut they may face or can make a good present for your friends.

Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert- from the esteemed author of Eat, Pray, Love, this book sheds light on how to break the fear when trying to create any kind of creative craft. From ice skating to writing, Elizabeth Gilbert uses her own experiences to share how she broke free of her fears to create the things she loves.  

It’s Not How Good You Are,  It’s How Good You Want To Be by Paul Arden- this pocketbook dives into the truth of what makes people think better to help them live the life they imagined. Paul Arden uses everyday experiences such as getting fired and being wrong in a different perspective, making it not seem like the end of the world when things don’t go as planned.

The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles by Steven Pressfield- the war that is between the self and art can be challenging to win. Steven Pressfield’s experience and humor help readers understand why there is a war between the self and creativity while examining obstacles that normally get in the way. The inner barriers that cause obstacles are exposed and examined throughout  Pressfield’s book.

Basic Black: The Essential Guide for Getting Ahead at Work (and in Life) by Cathie Black- president of Heart Magazines, Cathie Black offers advice in this book for anyone that needs to hear options in daily life. From starting in the lowest position to working as president, Black explains the life lessons she’s learned inside and outside the office to make her life stress-free and in control. With an inspiring woman’s point-of-view, Black offers unique advice for the modern-day working woman.

Inspiring books make great gifts to inspiring the people in your life. Don’t forget about yourself, either. If someone you know (including you!) needs some inspiration or a good read, check out these books.  

Gwendolyn is a Louisiana Tech University graduate with a Bachelor's Degree in English with a concentration in Creative Writing. She worked as a contributing writer under the La Tech HC Chapter. In her free time, she loves to read, write, edit, listen to music, watch movies, and explore new places and things. She plans to find work in book publishing for children's books.
Alicia Centers

Louisiana Tech '20

I am a junior Cyber Engineering major who just enjoys hanging out with awesome gals outside of school!