This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Zumba: an aerobic fitness program featuring movements inspired by various styles of Latin American dance and performed primarily to Latin American dance music.

Enter: me.

The first time I went to Zumba, my roommate and I made our clumsy way to the back corner of the space as inexperience radiated off of us. The room was packed, and the instructor was clearly feeling all the energy, smiling as she queued the warm-up song. As the music began, everyone immediately imitated the instructor’s movements. My roommate and I were forced to stare intensely at the arms and feet of our peers to decipher the correct patterns due to our regretful choice to stand in the back. I definitely embarrassed myself to a high degree, but bonding over one’s shared awkwardness with others is pretty unifying, not gonna lie.

Enter: classes.

About two weeks into the semester, I already felt extremely overwhelmed with schoolwork and could identify no conceivable outlet. I began stress-eating various combinations of cereal, cookie butter, and cold oatmeal. Gross, I know. Feeling bad about myself after basically bingeing caused me to rant to my friends back home about school and to make excuses about my various actions and inactions. Like, I’d already walked to and from U Hall twice that day, so why would I attend an exercise class that night? Luckily, my girls had my back and text-yelled at me for slacking. So, fine, I went.

At this point in my Zumba career, I kind of dreaded the act of going itself, but once the class actually began, I was on a cardio high. I realized that not only was this a great workout, but it was essentially just a big dance party, which I’m naturally always down for. The contemporary songs and positive group energy motivated me to push myself. As someone who doesn’t particularly enjoy the gym, the synergy I found within workout classes was just what I needed. I came to relish the feeling of the sweat soaking through my shirt and dripping down the back of my back as the class progressed; I knew that I’d worked hard. Without fail, I found myself in a better mood after every wonderful fifty minutes of focusing solely on my body and the music.

Enter: dance skills.

Now, weeks later, I’ve gotten into a routine. I go to Zumba every Monday and Wednesday, and I look forward to doing so. I’m beginning to memorize the movements to certain songs and get excited when my favorite dances come on. Perk: much of the choreography resembles club dancing, making it extra fun and useful.

My stress levels have also decreased exponentially. I no longer find myself needing to indulge in whatever is lying around my dorm room, nor do I find myself having negative thoughts about miniscule things. I’ve also become much more confident about my body because I know that I’m taking care of it.

So, I encourage you, if you want to reduce your stress, get fit, and/or acquire some hot new dance skills, hit up a Zumba class! You’ll be glad you did.

Sophomore Film/TV Production major and Screenwriting minor at LMU from Michigan. When not in class, watching a movie, or writing an article, can be found drinking iced coffee, playing classical guitar, trying new restaurants, or belting lyrics at a concert.