This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

The presidential election of 2020 is arguably one of, if not the most critical races in United States history. The country is at an all-time high of political tension, and the world is still amidst a global pandemic. It is now more essential than ever to exercise your right to vote for the candidate who will best serve the country. The COVID-19 outbreak and the attempt of far-right politicians like Donald Trump to take away equal rights for members of all minority groups make clear the need for a change in leadership. In my opinion, the best man for the job is Joe Biden. 

A large part of Donald Trump’s victory in 2016 was due to many democrats, republicans, and non-affiliated voters’ lack of enthusiasm for the candidates. As a result, voter turnout was a mere 55.5%. This statistic means barely over half of the eligible citizens chose not to participate. As a result, Donald Trump has had the past four years in office. During this, he has attempted to undermine the lives of anyone who is not a straight, white, cisgender, wealthy, American-born man. This niche category represents only a tiny percentage of the U.S. population. Low voter turnout is not a new phenomenon in the United States. However, this year certainly feels and looks different than any other.

As anyone with social media knows, there has been a wealth of political knowledge and voting information shared this year on apps like Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter. Furthermore, a large portion of this information in circulation is by and for young people, which exemplifies a promising trend towards increased political activity for the younger generations. Although some people shared political knowledge in 2016, the increased presence of social media and the heightened stakes of this election has made voting awareness more widespread and relevant for the 2020 election.

Aside from social media, the data from early voting backup all of these claims. According to CNN, “2020 has been a record-shattering year for early voting among young people. Early voting among people aged 18 to 29 is up across the 14 critical states, according to data from Catalist”. They also explain that youth voters have Biden currently leading in many divided states, critical to a democratic victory. Forbes stated that “63% of Americans age 18-29 say they will “definitely be voting” in the November election, a new Harvard Youth Poll found, marking a substantial increase from 2016 and 2018 and putting youth turnout in November on track to match or exceed the 2008 election”.

Although it is tempting to feel assured in a blue wave for 2020, it is crucial that we not get comfortable. Many people dismissed voting in 2016, which led to Hilary Clinton’s loss even with her projected win. As a whole, voters are fired up on both sides, and the statistics support this. As a first-time presidential election voter myself, I urge citizens of all ages, especially young people, to get out there this Tuesday, November 3rd, and vote! Our country can not take another four years of division and hatred. If you still have not returned your ballot, be sure to check your state’s policy on the last day to drop it at an official ballot box. If you are voting in person, make sure to check what you need to bring and be prepared to wait in line. A few hours of your time is worth helping to save our country.

Voting Resources:

Information Sources:

Galen is a sophomore at LMU majoring in film, television, and media studies and minoring in screenwriting.
Her Campus LMU