Why You Should Travel Alone for Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

As a young woman, the thought of traveling alone sounds scary at first. Navigating the world on a day-to-day basis is already challenging itself and therefore we assume it must be much more complicated in a place we’ve never been to—plus without any company. However, in this article, I’d like to argue for solitary travel during spring break, challenging the stereotypical group party vacation that we usually associate it with. Given its short-ish length and that it takes place while we’re still figuring ourselves out in college, it is the perfect occasion to step out of our comfort zone while discovering a new location and ourselves.

become more cultured

One of the most obvious pluses about traveling to a new destination is learning about its citizens, culture, food, sights, and witnessing how life changes in a different environment. However, being alone also forces you to be part of the local atmosphere more than with a group of people you know. So don’t be afraid to explore what the resident ambiance has to offer while staying safe. It’s essential to research what areas of a town or city are safer to walk through and which ones to avoid, so please prepare ahead of time by selecting the landmarks and places you want to focus on primarily.

take risks and learn from your mistakes

Even though you might think you know how to navigate a new space safely, you will still have to face uncertainty when you get to your location. Sometimes risks are necessary to learn about the local culture; maybe you want to spend more time in one spot you discover you love, which takes time out of other planned activities. Don’t be afraid to make impulsive decisions that might seem risky. You might come upon something new or, if you think you chose the wrong alternative, learn from your mistakes and apply those in the future. Traveling alone allows for more independence when creating an itinerary, so take advantage of that and do what feels right on the spot.

know your boundaries

Being free to choose what activities to do and places to visit allows for profound self-discovery. For example, maybe you realize you enjoy hikes more than visiting museums, or that you’d rather spend more time by yourself than trying to meet locals. Every decision leads to knowledge about what makes you feel good, which might not be as evident from our everyday life decisions. Knowing what you enjoy doing yourself is also helpful when planning a trip with friends or family—you know what you will personally enjoy when you arrive at your destination.

Gain confidence

Maneuvering a new environment alone builds many skills and self-improvement. From planning, budgeting, exploring, socializing, or learning, you inactively use necessary skills used for work and everyday life. Once you realize that, you become more confident in yourself and your abilities to succeed independently in many different ways.

value independence

After spending some quality time in a different environment by yourself, you will feel a sense of achievement that stems from your ability to maneuver uncertainty by yourself. Sure, visiting a city within your country is not the same as traveling to a different continent. Still, the ability to guide oneself through a new destination is a necessary skill in both scenarios. So maybe start your solo travel on a smaller scale, be aware of how valuable your independence is, and then take it to a bigger scale when you’re ready.

These are only a few of the benefits of traveling alone, which I believe are not always valued enough when considering what to do during spring break. Even though we are meant to associate travel with family vacations or friend escapades, it also has a great potential to be a highly productive self-growth activity in a new environment. Remember, safety is always important, so spend a lot of time preparing for your solo adventures!

sources:

https://www.smartertravel.com/11-reasons-travel-alone-least/

https://solotravelerworld.com/travel-alone-tips/

Related: 4 Reasons You Should Try Solo Travel
I'm a junior Film, TV, and Media Studies and Sociology double major at LMU! I'm a bookworm and love music, so in my free time I usually have either a book or ukulele in hand. I'm also an international student, and you'll always catch me reminiscing about Spanish food.