Why Everyone is Freaking Out About the New iPhones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

This year marks the 10th anniversary of the iPhone, and Apple is pulling out all the stops to make their 2 new models, the iPhone 8 and X, the most memorable yet. Revealed in September, the new phones are already creating a ton of press in the technology and photography communities. Boasting a multitude of new features, especially with regards to the camera, these phones are every instagram enthusiasts dream. While the new phones are not completely different from their predecessors, there are a few key differences that truly make this iPhone special.

Facial Recognition

You’ve seen it in every spy movie already, and now it’s a reality and accessible to the public. Gone are the days of fingerprint sensors, and now it is nearly impossible to snoop on other people’s phones without them knowing. I can’t help but wonder… will it still recognize me with no makeup on?

Glass Backing

When I first discovered this change in design, I was a bit disappointed. Yet another way for me to break my phone! But the return of the glass backing gives the phone a glossy, futuristic finish while also paying homage to the iPhone 4.

Portrait Mode Selfies

Instagram models jobs just got a whole lot easier. The 56 mm telephoto lense takes clear, crisp pictures with blurred backgrounds and can make a simple selfie shot look like a professional portrait. This paired with the improved 240 FPS in 1080p slo-mo camera abilities makes the new iPhone’s camera a force to be reckoned with.

24k Magic

If you’re not a huge rose gold fan, get excited because the iPhone now comes in a standard gold color! It’s elegant and sophisticated and just the right amount of flashy to add a little more glitter to your life.

So what do you think? Is the new iPhone worth the new (and even more ridiculous) price tag?

Hi! I'm Eva and I'm a Marketing Major at Loyola Marymount University. My hobbies and interests include fitness, music, baking, camping, surfing, and being outside.