The Whole World is Watching: Why Everyone Should Watch “The Trial of the Chicago 7”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

In the last month or so, you may have seen a movie recommendation on your Netflix account called “The Trial of the Chicago 7.” After watching it, I can actively say that this movie is one that is necessary for everyone to watch. Many of us may have not known about this trial and why it was so pivotal in U.S. history. However, in high school and maybe even grade school, we learned in depth about the Vietnam War and the role the U.S. played in such a war. As was taught by our history teachers, many people at the time believed that the U.S. had no right to be involved in this war and that it was essentially pointless.

This movie is based upon a true story following a trial that occured in 1969 of seven defendants charged by the U.S. government on accounts of conspiracy based on protests that occurred in Chicago at the 1968 Democratic National Convention. Although this story may seem to have been so far from the present, the reality of a corrupt trial and government still reigns true to this day. At the time, the prosecutors were attempting to argue that the seven defendants had intended to undermine the government and incite the violent riots.

Including portrayals by actors Eddie Redmayne, Sacha Baron Cohen, Joseph-Gordon-Levitt, along with many others, they display the realities that the defendants faced during this trial. When initially filming, the intention was to tell a story that had been once forgotten and never learned by younger generations, and yet, the film did much more.

In our current society, we have witnessed police brutality, unfair treatment of marginalized individuals, and a need for change in politics. Gen Z has been marching to fight for their beliefs and to voice their reasons for a change. This is exactly what is shown in the film. The defendants find themselves speaking out for the inhumane ways the U.S. government has used people of society for a war that we had no purpose being a part of. Watching this movie was absolutely breathtaking because it felt as though it was a documentary of what is going on today. 

A common theme frequently repeated throughout the film was “the whole world is watching.” After really hearing this, it shows the power of the American people to enact change and to fight for it. This movie in no way was easy to watch. Frankly, there were certain parts that were absolutely heartbreaking to view, but that is why it is necessary to watch. Back then, the world was watching to see how the U.S. government would react to individuals who chose to protest and speak out for what is right, even when it contradicts government officials. In the portrayal of the trial, we view how a biased judge can further enact hatred and impact a trial and potential jurors. 

We live in an era where social media is at our fingertips, and now, the entire world is literally watching. As college students, we are not only waiting for a change but doing everything in our power to ensure that a change is coming. In the last four years, we have seen how the political leaders of our country have silenced voices and acted as oppressive leaders. We have shown our activism through our social media platforms to make sure that we will not be silenced. We are the generation that will ensure that the whole world is watching. “The Trial of the Chicago 7” reminds us of the importance of speaking our minds and the reason we have an election every four years. 

November 3 is the time for our voices to be heard, and this is the first time that many of us are voting. To enact change, we must be willing to change our representatives to individuals that are going to fight for all of us. This film is a must see because it highlights the systemic issues that our legal and justice system has had for years and displays the impact it has in today’s world. The whole world is watching, and believe me, this is just the beginning.

Hi!! I'm Christina Fazio and I'm a psychology major and double minor in Women and Gender Studies & Journalism at LMU and am originally from the Hollywood area. I typically love to talk about social justice issues, mental health issues and I enjoy the simple things in life including journalism, binge-watching shows on Netflix, and looking out at the Bluff at LMU. Constantly learning new ways to be informed and educated and sharing that through my writing.
Her Campus LMU