This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

“Most people assume that meditation is all about stopping thoughts, getting rid of emotions, somehow controlling the mind. But actually, it’s … about stepping back, seeing the thought clearly, witnessing it coming and going.”  -Andi Puddicombe, mindfulness expert

Simply put, meditation is an observation of breath. It’s an opportunity to take your everyday stress and distractions and put them aside to think about absolutely nothing, which in turn will give you a different perspective.

As with any exercise, meditation is a skill you practice. It’s important to note: your mind will wander and it’s OK. In fact, it’s part of the experience. So, how do you do it?

Still hesitant about getting started? All-star athlete, Lebron James, and #girlboss, Arianna Huffington swear by meditation and the sense of ease it has brought to their lives.

Just try it. The next time school and social pressures have you bogged down, give yourself 1-3 minutes to literally think about nothing. And, as I mentioned, it’s a practice- it doesn’t have to be perfect!

I'm a dog and cat mom- Trigger (the dog) and Rogue (the kitty). I am active by nature, so sitting idle is never an option. I love finding new areas of LA to explore and I am on an endless hunt for the best pizza this city has to offer.